Oil level sensor failure message - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Oil level sensor failure message

Temperatures have ranged between -5 and -10 degrees over the past week here. My 156 20V sportwagon has been holding her own not too baddly in the snow and cold. (Brera virtually unusable!). However, had to charge the battery for the first time ever in the 156 yesterday morning, which was fine - car started up again as normal. Went out yesterday evening and display read OIL LEVEL SENSOR FAILURE - GO TO DEALER etc and showed the dashed oil level indicator as 'empty'. I immediately checked the oil, which seemed ok (maybe a little low) car went for timing belt and service at 69k 3 weeks ago, so oil is fresh and should be at the right level. Any idea whats happening - is this an electronic failure, frozen sensor or 'real' oil level problem? Have done a couple of quick forum searches but can't see anything similar.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Western Cape
Seems like the oil level sensor has failed...

Top your oil up and see if the message is still displayed. Top your oil up anyway so that you don't cause damage to youe engine either. Sometimes low battery charge can result in strange messages, but mostly when the battery's been fully charged the silly messages should stop.
If only it were that simple!

Have gone back to the car now the weather has warmed up to a toasty -1 degrees. The failure message is no longer displayed but the oil level indicator is showing low - will check on the dip stick abgain and top up as you suggest Ian Lusso. I think you are right - after a 30 mile drive yesterday evening the battery is fully charged I hope.

AO Member
County: Lincolnshire
I had this on my 156.
One day I noticed the level had gone down a notch on the digital display. I checked and it was fine. Day two it had gone down a couple more notches, again checked and was fine. Day three the display was back to normal and hasn't displayed low since (two weeks). I wondered if the sensor got dirty or something?
Dunno - I had the bonnet wedged open while I charged the battery in sub zero conditions - sensor may have got a right freezing. Also, after a number of short trips in the last few days (as you will know nick9one1!) - my overweight 20v has been doing the job of the council snow plough! - so my undertray is probably full of ice making matters worse.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

failure , level , message , oil , sensor