JTD Noisy when cold - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 13-12-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

2002 156 2.4 JTD

JTD Noisy when cold

When I start my 2.4 JTD in the morning, it rattles and clanks like a bag of old spanners at tickover! If I raise the revs slightly, it stops. Also once warm, it quietens down a bit too.
I've only really noticed it recently, as I start the engine then scrape the windows etc. I've had a quick peek under the bonnet, but with the engine cover in place, it's tricky to actually see if anything is loose. I'm thinking an exhaust heat shield or some such thing? Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire
No guarantees on this one, but check the power steering fluid level. I was getting concerned about some of the noises mine was making from cold. Then when the steering really started complaining I checked the level and it was very low!

Topped up to where it should be - noises gone and a very smooth and fairly quiet tickover even from cold.

I'm sure there are other things it could be but there's ONE thing to check for starters!
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Is it a metal squeeky rubber sort of noise rolled into one? Is there on cold start up but then not there during the day or if the car is warm. If so then you havethe same noise as me. I have tried changing everything from idlers to tensioners to belts. The noise is still there. While I was at my local indi they suggested something which is quite common on the JTD's apparently. The botom pulley. the rubber gets old and then when you change the cambelt they often have to be clouted to get them off. This ruins the rubber even more. They make a noise as the rubber is cold but as it vibrates and warms up this stops. Seems a reasonable thought. Pulley for mine was about 80 so will be doing it after christmas and will report back if it stops it.

BMW E12 M535i, JC racing diff, Gaz coilover, Powerflex.
Alfa 156 GTA, Q2, Super sprint, CF2, EQ, KW coilovers, Eibach rollbars, Powerflex.
Alfa Mito QV , BMC filter.

GitList Member but not as high as Keithy! No Gibbo....I don't need a haircut AO Troublemaker! You have been warned

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

cold , jtd , noisy