GT rattle - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 09-12-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Western Isles

Member car:

Alfa Red GT Q2

GT rattle

Since I bought my GT in April it has had a fairly loud and annoying rattle from the back. A trip to my local service agent came back with rattling rear calipers but I have never accepted this as driving with the handbrake on enough to tighten up the calipers does not stop the rattle. I bought the car with 9500 miles on the clock so all of the bushes and suspension joints seem to be fine.

It is a 2007 Q2 so I doubt that it can be the hinge plate problem. All of the plastic clips and rubber "bumpers" are in place and in good condition, the rear rubber seal has been liberally coated in silicon and the spring loaded tailgate openers have been freed off and work as they should.

Tonight I noticed that the tailgate gas struts rattle when they are in the closed position - quite badly - and the noise is similar. Has anyone else had rattly gas struts?

I plan to take them off at the weekend to see if the noise goes away...

"When you sit in a Focus RS or a Golf R32 itís like sitting in a commercial for Lynx aftershave. When you sit in an 147 GTA itís like sitting in a Venetianís hand-made suitcase." J.Clarkson 2003.

Current fleet: 156 Sportwagon jtd 16V (facelift) 2.4 Spider, Leon Cupra SC
Projects: Spider S4, Matra Murena 2.2
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Canterbury
Got my rear pads changed - rattle appeared.
Got some other work done to the car (not at the rear) - the rattle disappeared
but it's now coming back again.

I have no idea what it is either - i can't figure out what it is. Sounds tinny when going over slighly rough road bumps etc. Makes the car sound junky to. Will be interested to see what you find out.
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

I think that you are experiencing what many GT owners do, the dreaded tailgate rattle. It seems that most cars are prone to it, seems a weak point in the design.

Have seen many explanations and cures, but in my case it was the alignment of the lock and adjustment of the bump stops.

Perhaps also check the bolts on the hinges are tight and that the tailgate has not moved. Have also heard that the 3rd break light can also work loose.

Good luck, having solved my rattle it usually lasts for a few months before it returns and requires further adjustment!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT