Cold weather or suspension shot? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 29-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lancashire
Cold weather or suspension shot?

I bought my alfa 156 2 weeks ago today and to begin with things weren't so bad, I felt like it floated on the road,

Today, every bump can be felt, the front suspension lets out a nasty creek when going over bumps, I've almost got a pounding headache from a 4 mile journey!

What is the likely culprit? I dropped my weight on both front sides after my journey to see what the movement was like and there wasn't barely any.

Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Creaking tends to be upper wishbones. Knocking tends to be lower wishbones. rattling tends to be drop links. theses are common areas to check but I'd say uppers by the sound of it
AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
another day another noisey suspension setup, they typically sqeak when they get cold and damp!

sounds like your top suspension arms have run dry, easy fix.

99% of the time you can get away with stripping each side down and giving the bushes a bloody good grease up, although sometimes they will be worn out.

its easy enough to sort, take wheel off, undo the drop link, take the big *** bolt out the bottom suspension arm, undo the ball joint on the top of the upright between the upright and the suspension arm, then undo all the nuts on the strut top under bonnet and the whole lot should with a bit of wriggling slide down.

imagine then that the shock absorber has the threaded studs on them and the suspension arm mounting plate sits over those studs, so you need to wriggle and swear some more to get the mounting plate off the top of the shock. note the stupid little rubber black washers on the studs that make life hard, rip the feckers off!

that done you have one top suspension arm and mount in your hand. top tip if you have a good set of spanners is to loosen the bolt of the suspension arm whilst its still mounted on the car if you can get access to do so. its easier to undo this whilst its held in place on the car than with it flapping around on the drive way, otherwise you will probs find yourself running into the garage to try clamp it down to undo.

second top tip is that the ball joints should have an allen socket in the end of them to allow you to do them back up again once finished, these will be full of much and rubbish so be careful not to round them out!

grease both side of the suspension arm faces and mounting points, as the arm should pivot freely inside the bush. once grease bolt the two back together and give it a good wiggle before you put it back on the car, if it still sqeaks in your hand take it apart and try again!

i cleaned all the crap out of mine with WD40 and rag before then applying the grease. WD40 will also help getting difficult nuts undone!

Previous Alfas:
1999 156 1.8TS Sport Pack 3
2001 166 3.0 V6 24V Super
2003 156 GTA 3.2 V6 24V
2005 156 1.9 JTDM-Jet Sport
2008 159 1.9 JTDM Lusso

Current Alfas:
1997 GTV 2.0TS Lusso
2001 147 1.6TS Lusso
AO Member
County: Victoria
Sounds stupid, but my right front wheel did this when I first got my car. Almost exactly like this, kind of a "pop" sort of creak noise while going over humps and turning the wheel to full lock while stationary.

Front front tyres were bald. Replaced the tyres and the creaks vanished. But I was probably just lucky.
AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
be sure to check for uneven tyre wear, which is a result of poor wheel alignment which will put added stress on suspension components, not to mention make your car feel heavy and handle poorly!
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire
check where the noise is coming from very carefully. Top arms creak from behind the dashboard. ARB bushes creak from the footwell and knock as you go over rough ground.

Yours sounds most likely to be upper arms I think, as the other guys have said. If you change them and it still creaks then your ARB bushes prob want doing too!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

cold , shot , suspension , weather