ARB Bushes: Done! (but nearly not) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 28-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire
Thumbs Up ARB Bushes: Done! (but nearly not)

Hi all,

I know I must be mad doing it in this weather but I'd already booked the time off work (just in case I needed it!) and bought the Superflex bits (thanks EB spares - great service as per usual) so what the hey!

2.4 JTD 20v mjet. Followed the guide from (based on a GTA bar) and just in case anyone else is lining up to do it thought i'd add the following points:

GET A HELPER. You'll be grateful of it when you're raising the subframe back up....

No stiffener plates on mine. Yay!

Split the exhaust at the base of the downpipe cat. Then undo the 13mm nuts and the 15mm mounting bolts to get the support bracket out of the way. The exhaust will drop down nicely on the flexi section but be careful not to damage it.

The exhaust mounts on the transmission tunnel have a locating pin that they slide onto. pull them off this otherwise you'll be trying to lift tunnel AND exhaust on refitting (er, yes this one IS very much from experience! )

Don't forget that the subframe bolts are mainly 18mm (i did!) but a 11/16 hex socket fits!

No pit? allow at least 6 hours if you've not done it before.

IMPORTANT: The lower engine mount is different to the one in the guide. It's a casting, with three STAR/TORX SOCKET bolts mounting it to the gear box (see attached photo). This is why I very nearly didn't get mine done. I managed to improvise with a 3/8" drive 10mm allen key, which was actually a very good fit.

There is a 10mm bolt on top of the subframe on the passenger side, holding the power steering pipes clip (or is it aircon? Wasn't in the mood to check!). You need to remove this to get the subframe low enough. When putting it back on, the subframe needs carefully raising until you can get the bolt in yet still get a 10mm spanner on it (trust me, it's tight for access!). This is another reason to have a helper....

To break open the clamps, I put them in a vice, drilled partly through the peened "rivet" and then split them open with a cold chisel. This meant I could kind of clip the front rivet back together in the vice before fitting, keeping it all together (Always thinking!). Fit the roll bar back onto the subframe (including the bolts, not fully tightened - do them now so you don't risk cross threading) then go for re-assembly.

think that's it. The guide covers the rest of it! Hope it's useful to someone.

Need a hot bath now

PS For the record my bushes were shot - could jiggle the bar up and down inside the bush.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bushes1.jpg (71.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Bushes2.jpg (63.4 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 2 Old 29-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire
Quick report: Wahey! all the "clunky bunky creaky" on rough surfaces is GONE! Car seems to corner a little flatter but I've been off work today so won't know til tomorrow for certain (unless it snows as forecast then i'll be at home again!!)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

arb , bushes