Cold temps = trouble starting - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Temp Un-Registered

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Originally Posted by paullec View Post
are the people who are having trouble starting using their car for short distances ? i know i have trouble but only use the car to do 8 mile to work and back ? i wonder if it has prob when i do a long trip the during the day ?
I'm only using mine for short distances at the moment, no real reason for that, apart from the fact I got no long journeys planned !!!........
Sponsored Links
Temp Un-Registered

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Well Folks......

After some of the most adverse Winter temperatures I've ever come across, sometimes down to -13 down here, I have had absolutely NO problem in starting my Engine, no matter what time of the Day, its always fired up after a few turns of the the key......

But, I STILL get that damn " Glow Plug Error " message on the dash, which goes off after about a minute or so......

So, I'm just going to leave it well alone now, as I don't think its a problem, just a " character " of owning an Alfa....
AO Member
Same here! Its just another ignored warning now, like the VDC system failure and the risk of ice warning...
AO Silver Member
County: East Dunbartonshire
I have changed the battery recently and while the situation is improved it still took 3 goes to get her started this morning at -9. I suspect a glow plug too, however once started she is fine for the rest of the day it's only sthe first morning start that required a bit of time. Did get a momentary glow plug error message on the old battery, but it hasn't happened again yet.
Alternative Autos look like the best bet for these at the moment - is it an easy DIY job?
I have had similar problems starting my 147jtd as most of the posters on here. What I've found is that there is a fuel heater on the fuel filter/ water seperator element on the bulkhead. The relay for this is in the fusebox by the battery and if I bridge the terminals it hardly draws any current despite the circuit having a 20 amp fuse?. The heater doesn't appear to be available seperately and the whole housing/assembly costs about 90. So at the moment when its been below zero I put a small fan heater under the bonnet pointing at the filter housing and fuel pipes to the HP pump. When I do this the car starts instantly no matter what the temperature, so I'm thinking maybe there is some water in the filter seperator thats stopping the diesel from flowing properly. I've changed the glow plugs but the old ones worked perfectly at their tips when tested. So I'm going to get a new housing with heater and filter when pennies allow, looking about 120 to diy it.

Be the way, If you are tempted to use easystart don't spray into the intake before it gets to the filter, remove the intake manifold hose and spray in there at the manifold.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

cold , starting , temps , trouble