156 2.0 Twin Spark - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 27-11-10 Thread Starter
County: Durham
Hmmm 156 2.0 Twin Spark

Hi everybody!

I am new to the Alfa Owner Club & a new Alfa Owner.

I decided to buy a 156 2.0 Twin Spark (2001 model), with a poorly engine. Unfortunately it has a top end knock as well as the well known bottom end knock :-(

I have been looking for an engine to buy, but I am struggling to find the right engine for my car. My car has the engine code 323.10, but everyone I have contacted has either no idea what the engine code is for the engines they have or they have the 323.01 engine. As I am new to rebuilding / replacing Alfa engines I was wondering if anyone could advise me where to find an engine to fit my car (that won't bankrupt me!) or whether the 323.01 would fit & run in my car.

I hope someone can help me as I can't wait to drive my car!
Sponsored Links
Send Richard http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/members/rgwm.html a PM, he brakes Alfas and should have what you need
AO Gold Member
Essentially (with the exception of the 166, which has a lot of detail casting differences) all the 2.0 16v TS engines are interchangeable, irrespective of the engine codes. Simply keep the inlet and exhaust manifolds from your original engine, and if the replacement engine has the earlier alloy top, swap over the cam covers and the cam sensor, possibly a few other sensors, and if you don't tell the car, it'll never know that its had a heart transplant.

Give me a shout on 07976 384980 if you want any advice. If you aren't sure about what you are doing, I know an Alfa-friendly garage in Richmond.....he's really a 155 man and doesn't rate the 156, but he knows what he's doing

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
AO Member

Member car:

2001 was a crossover year from the CF2 to the CF3 engine.
Both have silver plastic covers over the top, but the CF3 has an extra pair of catalytic converters under the exhaust heat shield at the front.
If you follow the advice above about keeping the inlet/exhaust manifolds from your car the only extra hassle is that the water/oil heat exchanger and pipework from the water jacket on the older engines doesn't leave room for the cats.
This can be overcome by changing over the water jacket and pipework from the newer engine onto the older one, then bending the pipes from the heat exchanger back a tiny bit.

You may be advised to change the belts etc. while you're at it but it might be better to see if you have a good engine first. Changing the belts with the engine in place isn't too much harder than with the engine out.

Congratulations on the new car and good luck with it. A good used engine can be had from around 200 on eBay.
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 28-11-10 Thread Starter
County: Durham
Thanks for all your advice (& so quickly!), I had thought the CF2 & CF3 may be interchangeable, but I didn't want to jump in feet first & find myself stuck with a knackered engine & one that didn't fit!

I can't wait to get started now, although the weathers but a stop on it for now - I draw the line at lifting engines out in the snow!

Thanks again everyone x
AO Member
These guys will put a fully overhauled TS in your car for 1600..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , spark , twin