Fuel consumption - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
County: Fyn
Originally Posted by PJ3074 View Post
I've got the 2.0TS and do a daily mix of dual carriage way and through town to work. The first half of tank got me 200 miles and then from half it seems to drop quicker. I've done 310 miles and just under 1/4 tank left. I would expect to get 350 miles in total. For a 2.0L, I would consider this normal as other people I know with non-Alfa 2.0L petrol cars get similar numbers.
normal behaviour for most gauges...on most cars...
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Alfa 33

Originally Posted by satanism View Post
normal behaviour for most gauges...on most cars...
Certainly is on out 156. Half way mark is hit around 225 miles. Other half goes quicker.

All the best

AO Gold Member
County: Western Cape
This is what I get on a level straight road in my TS even with the stat stuck open slightly and temperature at 70 degrees (I need to have it replaced). It's a Euro III engine, 2006 facelift TS Lusso (In SA we got the JTS engine only with the 159 and Brera so all 156's had the TS). I was driving at 120km/h with the cruise control on, today, on a flat road, and this was the instantaneous fuel consumption (6.0L/100km). It was steady for more than 3km.

Normally driving the 30km to work and 30km back on a very congested freeway in Cape Town sees me achieve 7.3L/100km at the end of the week (average speed 32-36km/h), and a good mix of 40% freeway, 40% town driving and 20% hard driving sees the average on an tank go to 9.0L/100km. Fuel consumption only goes throuigh the roof when cruising at high speed as this is where the engine temperature drops to around 60 degrees, so with the stat replaced it would improve even further.

Here's a point I noted: My fuel enrichment after cold starting, even on the coldest day, goes off in about 45 seconds. The engine idles and runs smoothly all the time even when the choke cuts out. Perhaps, due to much colder weather in Europe, they used different mapping for the enriched fueling settings in South Africa, allowing our engines to run leaner (my car's CPU has a lable on it proclaiming "South Africa" so there must be some differences between ours and yours). I'll never complain though as it saves us quite a bit of fuel...

Ian Lusso

Last edited by Ian Lusso; 02-08-11 at 07:09.
County: Greater London

Member car:

147 JTD 16v

My stat has been struggling to reach 90 recently and my fuel consumption has nosedived as a result (200 miles less from a tank).

I think what Kickstart is saying is bang on. I've done a little experiment these last few days and noticed that if I don't use the heaters, the temperature rises to 90 very quickly indeed. Once it's at 90 I can put the heaters on moderate and it never falls below 85. Previously I was constantly blowing 31.5 degrees air into the car non stop and it was having a real effect on engine temp.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

consumption , fuel