Replaced Lambda - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 21-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Replaced Lambda

Well after months of procrastinating, finally got around to swapping out my duff Lambda sensor. Helped by the fact the car was on a ramp last week and the mechanic loosened of the existing Lambda for me!

I fitted a universal lambda (Bosch LS615) which I picked up for around 50 off a Vauxhall parts web site!! The actual sensor is the same across a wide range of cars but what is different is the cable length and the connector. So with a little bit of extra work, you can save 40-50 this way. I double checked the part of the Bosch website so was happy that it was correct.

The Bosch kit comes with a wiring block that doesn't even need a screwdriver. The wiring is joined using special connectors which screw together clamping the ends of the wires. The only tools you really need is a wire cutter and a wire stripper, but I guess it could be done "Dad's way" with a sharp knife!

Yes, it was fun getting the wire back up the rear of the engine via numerous pipes, but I pre-empted that my tying a thin piece of string to the connector before I pulled it out. It would have been easier if the last time it was changed the cable was fed a different way, but it's almost impossible to get my hand/arm down the back to reroute it and I didn't want to drop it and have to start all over again.

Took the car out for a spin while hooked up to AlfaDiag and the sensor logging shows a completely different picture to the old one (See below). The old lambda stayed around the 0 volt mark with the odd "blip" to 1 volt max.

And no fault codes. It constantly showed P0130 and P0170 from the old NTK lambda, so that was well beyond the "sell-by date" and wasn't likely to pass the next MOT. The CO2 reading from the last MOT was very close to fail ... 0.1% off the max. It took them three goes to get it to that too! (They couldn't find anything else wrong so were determined not to fail it on a silly technicality like emissions, especially as it was so close to passing).

Remember Lambda's only last 40-60K miles ... and fit a Bosch .. NTKs and others aren't rated correctly and will just give fault codes all the time.

I took some pics but haven't downloaded them from the camera yet. I'll get this sorted soon and put them on my website as a how-to!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lambda-0005.jpg (89.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg lambda-0003.jpg (90.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg lambda-0004.jpg (90.3 KB, 18 views)

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

lambda , replaced