156 facelift wing mirror help please - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 18-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Somerset
156 facelift wing mirror help please

I have a problem with one of the wing mirror mounts on my 156, paint flaking off in chunks

I have found a local company who will shot blast and powder coat for me if I can remove and take apart the mirror. I've tried searching for an idiot's guide but can't find anything really, was wondering if anyone could offer any advice. I'm assuming I need to get the black cover off the inside to get to the mounting bolts but is it that simple to remove? I did my daughters Fiesta the other month and had to take the door panel, window winder and all sorts off and don't rally fancy doing that to my baby.

When removed, is it easy enough to take apart?

Any advice much appreciated but I can't check for responses until tomorrow pm. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
Try this thread. http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-question.html

It's not difficult, from memory all you need to a 10mm socket and cross point screwdriver.
AO Silver Member
County: -
I used an acid etch primer on mine before painting them and I hope they will stick a bit better now From what I remeber it's held on by 6mm hex heads and the mirror is attached to the mount by torx.

Autolusso were selling powdercoated ones a while ago, dunno if they still do them though.
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 19-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks guys. I can get my existing mount shot blasted and powder coated for around 20 so will go down that route but just need to remove and refit without doing any more damage!

If aanyone has a link to an idiots guide or youtube video it would be really appreciated.
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Its very easy to do on the pre facelift model at least.

You have to prise off the plastic triangle cover on the inside of the door unfortunately the metal clips tend to come off the plastic cover and stay in the door but you can then remove them from the door and refit to the plastic cover.

The wiring for the mirror has a connector just below the interior trim, if you carefully pull the trim slightly away from the door you'll see the connector. The connector should be clipped to the door with a sliding clip and is easy enough to slid off. Pull up the wiring and disconnect the connector, make sure the wiring doesnt slip back down behind the door trim - I dont think it will but better to be safe.

Next you need to unscrew the 3 bolts that hold the mirror to the door, be careful as the mirror would now only be held in place by the rubber seal. The mirror will now come free and pass the wiring through the hole in the door.

There are 3 allen key / star headed bolts holding the mirror to the mount, unscrew these and the 2 parts can be separated.

156 2.5 V6 24v, Cosmos Blue Metallic, Tan Leather, 17 GTA's, 225/45 Michelin PS2's, Full Zender body kit, GTA Headlights, Eibach springs, Koni FSD's, Eibach Anti-roll bars, Ferrari 360 Brembo calipers, DS2500 pads, Squadra ECU, 45mm Intake Runners, Carbon Intake, Dan & Wizard exhaust

156 2.5 V6 Qsystem, Red + Red Leather, Bilstein dampers, DS2500 pads...soon Brembo calipers, 17" GTV Teles
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 19-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks pascs, sounds like even I should be able to manage that!! Will post some before and after pics if I can.

Last edited by handful; 19-11-10 at 12:33. Reason: typo

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , facelift , mirror , wing