Major Selespeed problems on a 147. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 18-11-10 Thread Starter
County: Etela-Suomen Laani
Major Selespeed problems on a 147.

Hey guys,

so about five months ago I bought a 2003 147 2.0 Selespeed, and after about two months it started giving me trouble. First, let me give you a list of the problems I've experienced so far:

1. I start the car, and it won't engage any other gears than R. Trying to engage 1st gear, I hear one click from the gearbox, but nothing happens. After about five minutes or so, it starts operating normally.
2. I start the car, and it won't engage any gears. When I try to put it on 1st, I hear four clicks, about 0,5s apart, but nothing happens. When I try to put it on reverse, nothing happens, but when I turn the engine off, it selects R. When I start the car up again, everything works normally.
3. Coming to a halt in 1st gear, the car starts to stall because the clutch won't disengage. The only option for me is to select N manually from the gear lever, otherwise it gets stuck on 1st gear and won't start anymore.
4. Car's stationary, 1st gear selected, the clutch suddenly starts to engage on its own. I first noticed this because the car started to judder and the revs went down to 600 or so.

At first, problem no. 1 appeared. I took it to a local garage, and they just calibrated the gearbox, and it worked fine for two weeks, then the same problem appeared again. Then I took it to an authorized Alfa Romeo dealer here in Finland and they checked and cleaned all the connectors, relays and so on. After that it worked fine for a week or so, then all the problems started showing up.

I took it to the Alfa dealer once again, and they did some tests on it. After a week or so, they called me and said that it's probably a mechanical problem in the gear box, where a center support bearing on the input shaft (sorry about the translation, it's "kytkentäakselin keskitukilaakeri" in Finnish, but that's all I can do with google translate ) , is broken and needs to be replaced.

Now, the thing is, this would sound reasonable for problems no. 1 and 2, since selecting R in manual transmissions differs from selecting forward gears (an idler gear between the two normal gears). Then again, problems 3 and 4, in my opinion, have nothing to do with the gearbox, since the only thing that's not working properly in these cases is the clutch.

The previous owner had the whole actuator unit replaced 10.000 km ago, last december, so the international warranty of one year would still cover any faults in the actuator, but anything in the gearbox would be on my wallet.

So, do you guys have any opinions on what's wrong? Any help would be very much appreciated, since I've tried all the basic solutions like calibration, oil level / pressure, replacing the battery, cleaning the connectors and relays and so on, and more than anything I'd just want to get the car fixed ASAP, because it's an absolute pleasure to drive when it works properly .
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Sounds more like a clutch problem or that the clutch and gearbox have not been correctly calibrated.

When you are driving the car on the road, how are the gear changes? They should be quick without hesitation and no rough engagement. If you change gear while accelerating hard, are the gear changes quicker than normal driving?
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross

The best advice I can give you is to post the query on the forum, where Smaky (the selespeed expert) will be able to give you answers!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , major , problems , selespeed