156 SW Rear Wiper - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 15-11-10 Thread Starter
County: Antrim
156 SW Rear Wiper

Is there a simple way to test if power is getting to the rear wiper?

Mines not worked since I bought the car in May, doesn't spray water or move. It hasn't really been a problem until now with the change in weather.

Are they easy to replace if need be?
Sponsored Links
SW wiper motor

Hi, non working rear wipers on SW is a common problem, water gets down the spidle and they seize up.

It was straightforward to remove mine, so replacement should be fairly straightforward to
AO Member
County: Western Isles

Member car:

Alfa Red GT Q2

Take it off the car. Dismantle the electric part. If there is any sign of a burnt out motor buy a new wiper unit.

If not it might be worth trying to get your old one working. Remove the "circlip" below the splined end of the shaft. Soak it in penetrating oil or bung it all in a bucket of diesel! after a couple of days give the shaft a couple of taps (lightly) with a hammer to get it moving then use a shifter on the other end of the shaft to keep it moving. If you can get it moving freely then it is just a case of re-assembly.

It worked for me and saved nearly £100. If you buy a second hand one I would recommend stripping it down to make sure that it is well lubricated. It is nearly always the shaft that siezes.

"When you sit in a Focus RS or a Golf R32 it’s like sitting in a commercial for Lynx aftershave. When you sit in an 147 GTA it’s like sitting in a Venetian’s hand-made suitcase." J.Clarkson 2003.

Current fleet: 156 Sportwagon jtd 16V (facelift) 2.4 Spider, Leon Cupra SC
Projects: Spider S4, Matra Murena 2.2
AO Silver Member
County: Northumberland

Member car:

^^^^ That worked for me too. Use plenty copper grease so it will last and should be a bit more weather proof in future.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , rear , wiper , wiperarm