156 TS back box - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 13-11-10 Thread Starter
County: Hampshire

Member car:

156 TS back box

hi people

i hav removed and replaced my back box on my 156 TS but the problem is i'm havin problems trying to get it on properly as it wont go on all the any more. i have bout another half an inch to an inch to go till its on all the way, does any one have any tricks or advice on how to get it to fit properly? many thanks
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

The tube may be a slightly different size, you can buy expanders which fit on an impact wrench to increase the size slighlty.

Exhaust Pipe Expander Set 3pc *(M735) - Frost Auto Restoration Techniques Pipe Expander Set 3pc

I imagine your local exhaust fitter will have one.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 17-11-10 Thread Starter
County: Hampshire

Member car:

many thanks for the help, i shell hav a look in to it
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
If you are putting a new rear box onto an old centre section, then it's probably the rusted surface of the inner pipe. You could try cleaning it up first with emery cloth or rough sandpaper. Exhaust paste might also help as it can lubricate the pipes to make them more slippery.

When I changed mine I did it the other way around .. 2nd hand back box and new centre section. I located the box then gently tapped the centre pipe into the box pipe but still had to use some exhaust paste as there was a very slight blow in the area of the splits on the box pipe.

PS If you do decide to try knocking the centre pipe on, take care as it took me over 2 hours to drill out the bolt in the cat that snapped off .. but that included going out and getting titanium drill bits too!

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , back , box