156 2.4Jtd. Niggles! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 12-11-10 Thread Starter
County: Limousin
156 2.4Jtd. Niggles!

Hi, I joined the Ao Forum today, as yesterday i bought a 2001 Alfa 156 2.4 Jtd Sportwagon, and you've guessed...it's got a few niggles!
Firstly the rear lights stay on when the key is taken out. All bulbs OK, but "bulb" light illuminated. I understand that the fault probably lies with the rev counter, or at least a component on a circuit board in the rev counter. I read a post describing how to repair it, but have no idea how to identify the component or where to begin looking for it's replacement.
I've then got to be sufficiently nimble fingered to remove the old component and solder in the new!
I figured it's probably easier to find a 2nd hand rev counter, but it needs to be a black face version, with orange figures. The only one I've found is a white face version. If I buy it, can I change the innards, keeping my "Black Face"? If so, can someone let me know what's entailed and help me ID the part I need to transfer. (Photo!) Am I right in assuming that a replacement counter needs to be from a 2.4?......Anyone got a black face tacho for a 2,4Jtd?

Second niggle is the temperature gauge. It only very occasionally goes off the 50 mark...surely it should be just under 90 most of the time. Plenty of coolant, no overheating, but the heater is not as hot as I would have expected.
After getting the car home, I spoke to the previous owner, who said it has run like that throughout his ownership, although in warmer times in the summer it would reach around 70. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Lancashire

Member car:

156 2.4 JTD

You can use any rev counter(apart from sillyspeed)I had the same problem on my 2.4,just take off your black dial face and stick it on the new one.Only thing I wanted to change was the LED for the engine management light from the yellow to red,although not necessary it only took 2mins with a soldering iron.
Mine runs at that temp in winter although my heater is toasty!
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
It sounds like you need a new thermostat, it should run around 85 degrees. Running it lower will result in lower flue consumption and a clogged EGR valve, so it is best to change it.
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 13-11-10 Thread Starter
County: Limousin
Thanks for your reply Oily, Are you sure I can use any 156 rev counter? I've just had mine out, and the label is marked 2400TD, leading me to believe that they are specific to the engine.
I took it apart to see if i could see any obviously burnt chip, but it's a far more complex board than I expected! and nothing obviously at fault. Who can tell me which chip is prone to failure!!? Where can I get a replacement?
If i were to buy a second hand tacho, is there anyway that it can be tested, other than fitting it, as it will have to be sent from the UK to France, and then back again if it's faulty!

Toxic, Is it an easy access to change the thermostat? Read somewhere that the EGR valve has to be removed to access one of the bolts!
I have a manual on CD that came with the car, but as I expected, it wont work on my computer as I use a Mac.
Is there a Mac version available anywhere, or better still a proper book, (I saw a 4 volume paper one on line at 40 odd quid per volume! Also read that someone reckoned it was a print out of an early Cd manual!),
Any advice gratefully received
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

AR GT 3.2V6

Try contacting Autolusso (via forum user called Autolusso ) regarding the rev counter.. they have a lot of items on stock. I can also try and ask someone who i think has it.
In order to change the thermostat i believe you need to remove the throttle body and the EGR.
AO Member
County: Kent
The thermostat on the early 2.4 10v engines is fairly easy to change - I did mine a few weeks ago in just over an hour - as I had exactly the symptoms you decribe. PS I also have the rev counter issue, but my lights are at least off when I take the keys out!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 24jtd , niggles