2000 X Alfa 156 Throttle cable problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 07-11-10 Thread Starter
County: Northamptonshire
2000 X Alfa 156 Throttle cable problem

Hi everyone This is myt first post so please forgive me if i do or say anything i shouldn't , 4 Nights ago i bought my very first Alfa Romeo , always wanted one , cant afford a new one so ive waited until i could afford a good Alfa 156 T spark ,

I havn't driven it much as it was only four days ago since i picked it up but last night i drove it 9 Miles and parked it up and left the car for about 3 hours , then i got in the car and it was quite chilly so i decided to run the engine on tick over for a bit to warm it up , however it kept cutting out so i put my foot on the throttle tro help it along as i know alfas hate the cold.

I couldnt get it to tick over so i decided to take it up the road and started to drive home everthing was fine and then i heard like a thud/pinging sound and my throttle peddle went loose and i couldn't rev the engine , ive tried calling the feela who sold me the car (he is a work from home car dealer) he hasn't got back to me , the trouble is im rubbish fixing cars ,

Can anyone tell me what they think it is based on Model and year??
How much you think it would cost to fix?
If its an easy fix can anyone give me the heads up?

Thankyou , like i say i am a Alfa Forum virgin and i really need some help

p.s The car starts and will Idle 1000RPM and then 1500RPM then 1000RPM ,
Sponsored Links
County: Wiltshire
Sounds like the throttle cable just snapped.
AO Member
County: Derbyshire
Originally Posted by Smaky View Post
Sounds like the throttle cable just snapped.
Could well be! but also get your head under the throttle pedal and see how the pivot/spring/mechanism are..something could of popped off or broken!

Sounds like it may be an cheap fix but could be fiddly to do!

Keep us posted, Good Luck.
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
It should really idle around 850rpm ... 1000 is a bit high. When cold it will rise to 1300-1500 then drop back down. But if your cable was breaking it could have been snagging forcing the idle up as the throttle wasn't shutting properly.

The throttle end hooks over a "cam" on the left side and the pedal end is probably the same "nipple" device you find on bike brake cables, so it should simply hook on, but as fildigger says, it's probably fiddly especially getting the end of the cable through the bulk head to the pedal.

When you have fitted the new cable, try a throttle reset. Turn on the ignition, but don't start the engine, and leave it for 90 secs. Then turn off the ignition and leave it for another 90 secs. Then start the engine WITHOUT touching the throttle. The revs mys fluctuate a bit bit leave it to tick over for 3-4 mins and it should settle down to 850rpm.

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 2000 , alfa , cable , problem , throttle