2002 147 Remote Key Locking/Receiver Problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jwq
  • 1 Post By bikey77

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 06-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
2002 147 Remote Key Locking/Receiver Problem

My remote key does not work. I am able to manually unlock/lock the doors but when trying to use the remote nothing happens.

Even sent my key off to the resident key expert Chris who said the key was now working perfectly but again it doesnt work. Before i sent it off it actually would unlock the car (from very close range) but wouldnt do anything else, so i was unable to activate the alarm/lock the doors. Now the key gets no response at all.

I found my spare key and tried that out; not sure if its worked before or how well, but again that doesnt work. The light is flashing on both keys.

Is it a receiver problem? Anyone know what i could try to resolve or diagnose the problem?

Also, where is the receiver located and how would i tell if anything is wrong with it?

Any advice/info would be much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

147 2.0l 3dr

First off dig out you manuals with your stereo code. Secondly disconnect car battery for 5 min or so, then conect and try the keys.

I had exactly same problem a month ago and after A FORUM SEARCH!! I was pointed that direction of trying to fix. And it worked for me,

Last edited by pygmyarr; 07-11-10 at 03:11.
(Post Link) post #3 of 17 Old 07-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

i've got an aftermarket stereo with no code so thats ok.

I'll try disconnectin the car battery as you've said n hopefully that will work.

Thanks

(Post Link) post #4 of 17 Old 07-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi, tried disconnection the battery for a couple of mins. All the settings had reset (date, time, climate control etc) but my keys still don't work. Would it make any difference leavin it disconnected for longer?

Anything else I could try?
Nev

Sounds like a problem with the antenna on the car.

Does it work if you try using the remote inside the car?

(Post Link) post #6 of 17 Old 07-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

No it doesn't even work inside the car. Tried a trick out (where you sit in the car, remove the battery from the fob, put it back in, press a button a few times, and repeat) that chris told me to try to re sync the key with the receiver but had no luck with that.

Any idea where the receiver and antenna are located, and what they look like?
AO Member

County: Auckland
Did you find a solution? There seems to be many on this site with similar symptoms.

I'd like to know about the receiver too, where is it located and how can one tell if it's working?

Sent from my Moto G 2014 using Tapatalk
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikey77 View Post
I'd like to know about the receiver too, where is it located and how can one tell if it's working?
receiver is part of the Bodycomputer, mounted on the back of the fuse panel.
Antenna is a simple wire hanging from the BC

If the key(s) don't work, maybe they need to be re-coded to the BC....

from MES:
This function allows the programming of remote controls in the Body Computer. Follow the instructions on screen and make sure you have ALL remote controls (up to 8) before starting the procedure.
WARNING: Do not run this procedure if you don't know what you are doing! Make sure YOU HAVE ALL REMOTE CONTROL KEYS as you will have to program ALL of them into the Body Computer.
WARNING: You will also need to enter the electronic key code of your vehicle in order to execute this function. You can find this code on your vehicle's CODE CARD. Please be careful and note that the Body Computer will block itself for 30 minutes after an incorrect code is entered 3 times.
NOTE: You may run this function in test mode to see how it works. Basically, you have to do the following:
1. Start the function
2. The system will ask if you want to program RC1, and after you confirm you will have 15 seconds to press and hold a button on that RC. After that the system will confirm if the recognition of the key is successfull.
3. The system will ask if you want to programm RC2, and if you confirm you'll have to proceed the same way as in step 2. This procedure can be repeated for up to 8 remote controls.
4. The system will finally confirm to body computer that all remote controls are programmed and will display a status of the whole procedure.

Last edited by jwq; 20-08-16 at 14:40.

Any help on locating the body computer and what it looks like would be appreciated!

Is there any sort of troubleshooting in order to rule out the working and faulty parts?

AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikey77 View Post
Any help on locating the body computer and what it looks like would be appreciated!
bodycomputer is plastic module located on the backside of the fuse panel...

I'd start by simply trying to re-programming the remote controls, as described in my earlier post...
You can do this yourself using a program like MES ( http://www.multiecuscan.net/ ), or asking your dealer.
bikey77 likes this.

Last edited by jwq; 20-08-16 at 17:08.

County: New Zealand
Garage
Just a noob question about the vehicle code.

Is this the same code as that supplied for the radio by really helpful people on this forum.?

Cheers.
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroynz View Post
Just a noob question about the vehicle code.

Is this the same code as that supplied for the radio by really helpful people on this forum.?

Cheers.
Nope, that would not be very safe, as you can simply get the radio code ...
The vehicle code is a specific 4 digit number, that you should have gotten with your car (or as I understand it, in the UK the dealer keeps it )
If you don't have it, it will have to be requested from Alfa, after proof of ownership
Attached Images
File Type: png Knipsel.PNG (189.3 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by jwq; 23-08-16 at 07:30.
AO Member

County: -Greece
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgez View Post
My remote key does not work. I am able to manually unlock/lock the doors but when trying to use the remote nothing happens.

Even sent my key off to the resident key expert Chris who said the key was now working perfectly but again it doesnt work. Before i sent it off it actually would unlock the car (from very close range) but wouldnt do anything else, so i was unable to activate the alarm/lock the doors. Now the key gets no response at all.

I found my spare key and tried that out; not sure if its worked before or how well, but again that doesnt work. The light is flashing on both keys.

Is it a receiver problem? Anyone know what i could try to resolve or diagnose the problem?

Also, where is the receiver located and how would i tell if anything is wrong with it?

Any advice/info would be much appreciated http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

I have the same problem with my 2002 Alfa 147. Both keys seems to send the code but nothing works.

My key expert told me it is a typical button problem these keys have. The button is not pushing the circuit correctly and thus the code sent is wrong. The car does not understand fully the code. Thats why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.

He will change the buttons in my first key as the second is dead and cant be fixed. Tomorrow i will have more news

. Ps. I really dont lije messing with the battery or ECU for resets like others do in here. I am not an Alfa expert and i cant be one

For what it's worth, I finally managed to fix it myself with MES and a Bluetooth obd2

jwq likes this.

County: New Zealand
Garage
Care to share how that went.?
And did you need the vehicle code?
Cheers.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , 2002 , key , locking or receiver , problem , remote

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page