Why did this happen... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 06-11-10 Thread Starter
County: Cheshire
Hmmm Why did this happen...

Hi all! just joined this forum.. been reading for a while and gotten some great info but this is my first post!

I bought a very cheap Alfa 156 Sportwagon 2.0TS.. sounds good so far except that last week it overheated and broke down, the RAC man was certain the head had blown but after having a look in the light of day a pipe had just blown off the radiator, its attached through this 90 degree connector (see picture) which despite being wrapped with many dodgy cable ties was off at an angle and leaking.

So.. to the questions
has anyone else come accross this part before.. mine is just a push fit with no clips or anything to hold it in place, is this right or is mine broken?

secondly (and hesitantly) could a blown cooling pipe be a symptom of a blown head gasket (if it was leaking between a cylinder and the cooling system I think this could build up pressure)?

Many thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030085.JPG (49.2 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
There's a fair bit of pressure in the cooling system, probably blew off owing to the cable ties. Refit it using decent jubilee/hose clips.

If it goes again it could be symptomatic of a head gasket issue, let's hope not.

All the best

That connector should have a circular metal retaining clip with it, it is supposed to be self sealing but it is common for them to leak when refitted, a dab of silicone all around the inside flange should do the job
Yours is broke and i doubt wether jubilee clips will do the job as it a push fit with the metal ring just holding it in place
They are available from Alfa indies or main dealers and come complete with the bottom hose.
AO Member
County: -
The clips are fairly easy to bend and it's probably fallen out/been thrown away. Don't think you can get the clips separate.
AO Member
County: Dorset

Member car:

156 sw / gtv

I'd be thinking where else has he cut corners, a well cared for car will command a fair price and be easier to
live with (easier on the pocket too), a neglected car will be cheaper used, but will cost far more in the long term.

Last edited by alfafanatic100; 07-11-10 at 20:20.
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 06-11-10 Thread Starter
Thanks guys! roeburndale you're a star.. was starting to wonder if I was going mad! Well I'll get a new one, get it on then see what the engines doing. Still bracing for the worst but at least I'm on track now!

Thank yoooouuu!
AO Gold Member
While you are at it, check out the condition of the radiator - they are notorious for rotting out at the bottom - fins corroding - which leads to overheating also....

Bit worrying that AA guy didn't spot a hose off!
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 08-11-10 Thread Starter
Its actually had a brand new radiator, can't have been more than a couple of months ago. I'm thinking that whoever changed the radiator lost the clip then did a proper bodge job! Car overall has been really well looked after, considering the age its in amazing shape
AO Silver Member
County: Gauteng
Hi and welcome Robin.

Add some pic's for the car for us all to see.

As for the pype fitting, I'd just get a new one and pop it in. No point mucking the the busted one.

Last edited by TheMystic; 09-11-10 at 10:06.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT