Is alloy wheel corrosion covered by dealer warranty? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 05-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent
Is alloy wheel corrosion covered by dealer warranty?

Just noticed today that my alloy wheels are beginning to corrode. They are the "turbine" style wheels fitted as standard on the Collezione models. The grey finish (some sort of paint?) is lifting and bubbling along the spokes of the wheel, starting on the inner edge and spreading towards the outside of the wheel.

The car is still in warranty by 7 months but I think I'm right that the third year is a dealer warranty not manufacturer warranty. Not sure what difference this makes.

Is it worth asking the dealer to replace or refurb the wheels under warranty or will I just be wasting my breath?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Antrim
Gotta be worth the asking!

Whats a single wheel cost them .... 200?

Try asking nicely, and if not, cause them enough problems to be worth 200 to shut you up

Phonecalls>visits>friendly chats to prospective buyers... shouldnt take much to be worth 200 to get rid of if worst comes to worst!
AO Member
You'll prabably meet the response of "Sorry, sir, but the wheels have only a 1-year warranty". You should still try purusing it. I did with, ahem cough, Ford and they made a contribution of 90 per cent.
AO Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

147 Collezione

mpjx, i have the collezione too my2008 and the centre of the wheel chrome style bit? has begun to appear a dirty white almost in parts, considering taking it to a dealer and asking the question myself, warranty runs out in june 2011.

Let me know how you get on.
AO Gold Member
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Mk 2 Focus RS

they will probably ask what you use to clean them with and if you ever use the carpark car washes you get in places like tescos/shopping centers etc as i had this with some alloys i recently bought. as long as you say you only us water to clean them and never use any kind of wheel cleaner or carwash they cant blame that. with mine they said they might have to send the wheels away to 'acid' test them to see if they have been cleaned with anything other than water so i just said fine, do whatever it needs and in the end they replaced the wheel under warranty. these weren't standard alfa alloys though so they may go about it differently. hope this helps

Driving fast got me into trouble, driving faster got me out of it

LJ's Youtube Channel
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

not in a million years mate, there are alot of things that can cause corrosrion, like even if u were to kerb your wheels and water got behind the paint and lacquer, that would corrode your wheels
AO Member
County: Fyn
+wheels are quite easy to might be your mates wheels on your car they can't know for sure
AO Member
County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

Alfa GT

When I had a Lexus IS200 I had a complete set of wheels replaced due to corrosion. There wasn't any questions. They all suffered with corrosion showing.

I cannot believe if they a re being attacked from behind (under the paint/lacquer) that this isn't covered.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alloy , corrosion , covered , dealer , warranty , wheel