Fuel light bingo... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Fuel light bingo...

... gone wrong.

Out of pure lazyness, I hadnt got round to putting petrol in my car and had been ignoring the big red light for a couple of trips.

I did notice that the needle seems to settle just over the line and stay there for quite a while. Tonight on a trip to the supermarket in the pouring rain I decided I'd have enough to get home and would fill it up tomorrow.

As I got about 200 yards from the petrol station it cut out, whoops.

What surprised me was there was no 'cough' or splutter like other cars I've owned, to give a final warning that you've got a mile or so of fumes left. It just went from normal to dead in an instant.

And what worried me was that after I poured in the can of fuel, it took a good 5 minutes of turning it over before it ran properly. There were a few pops from the exhaust during that time and for the first 30 seconds of it firing up properly, it sounded and acted like it was only firing on 3.

Is this normal? Did I have an airlock? Should I be worried?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
When I rescued adamb157, I turned the ignition to MAR a few times to feed fuel through before attempting to start it (which it did 1st time). His is a twinnie though...
AO Member
County: -
I wouldn't be worried, just dont make a habit of it or you'll burn your starter out.
I did leave it in MAR for a while and after a minute or two of turning it over a few times, resting it, and repeating it chugged along by itself for the rest of the time, a gnats whisker away from stalling.

It was facing down a slight slope at first, moving it to the flat seemed to help a bit.

I presumed it was just feeding through and getting rid of air in the pipes, it just worried me a bit because I've never had to wait that long in other cars.

Has been fine since then though, I guess its an alfa thing

Iain, just noticed your sig, any chance you have a front passenger electric window switch and a drivers side rear light bulb holder thingy kicking about?
AO Silver Member
County: -
I though the fuel light on the V6 was wired directly to the battery

At least you didn't have far to walk to get juice

It did give me a chuckle when I first saw it light up... at just under 1/4 of a tank

I kinda gave up on my hopes that it might be a tad more frugal than my recent cars at that moment.

And yep, was just a quick trip back up the road and I had my jerry can in the boot as ever so cant really complain.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

bingo , fuel , light