Wing mirror mounts. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 29-04-04 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 V6

Wing mirror mounts.

I've noticed the powder coating on my 156 mirror mounts has started to blow. The surface hasn't broken yet but it looks like a case of teenage acne. Has anyone else experienced similar problems and is it likely to be covered by the anti-perforation warranty?

I haven't spoken to my local dealer yet, I want a bit of ammunition to hit them with!!!
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

Re: Wing mirror mounts.

Don`t know about the warranty question but my mounts look dreadfull.

I tried to get some more form a scrapper but they all seem to go bubbly. A few sly looks at any 156 I walk past confirmed that this is very common. Unfortunately you can`t buy the mount, only the complete mirror, which is a shame as its easy to get off.

Any ideas anyone on how to effectively repaint cheap alloy? Didn`t think so.

Are the wing mirror mounts not plastic as with the previously unpainted ones? And are you sure they are powder coated rather than wet painted?
Martin Livingstone

It looks like the alloy has oxidised. I asked a chap who was refurbishing a few 156 mirror mounts at the dealers on some 2nd hand cars how much it would be to have mine done - answer was about 150, so I'v ebought some Hammerite Smooth Black and I'm going to touch mine up as they are really bad. I suppose from a short distance you won't be able to tell.

When my 156 service and parts CDs arrive, I'll know how to take off the mirrors and do it properly I hope!

Oh yes - 2 front alloy wheels are starting to go where the holes are nearest the wheel centre

AO Silver Member
County: Kobenhavn

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Idea Re: Wing mirror mounts.

There's been a few posts on this issue. Mirrors are quite easy to take of, and take apart. A little sanding, a reputable brand of primer, base paint, and the final satin black finish from any spray paint supplier should do the job. A good sunday afternoon pastime, spending less than 20 quid.

Futher questions, post them here, pm me or email me.

-- Hoygaard

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

mirror , mounts , wing