156 1.9 16v JTD Driveshaft Removal - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 24-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Worcestershire
156 1.9 16v JTD Driveshaft Removal

The inner (tripod) CV boot on my 1.9 16v JTD has split a good'un and the grease is all over the gearbox and the cv joint has play in it. I need to remove the driveshaft to recon/replace. Now i've changed TS driveshafts in the past (6 bolts) but this looks very different!

There appears to be a cover at the gearbox end that has 4 bolts in it. Is it just a question of removing these 4 bolts and the driveshaft will then pull out of the gearbox or is there more to it once I get those 4 bolts off?
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 4 Old 25-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Worcestershire
Nobody changed the driveshaft on a 1.9 16v JTD then? Probably should have mentioned it the N/S one.
County: -

Member car:

Thumbs Up Easy fix

Don't worry, about the 6 hex bolts on the drives shaft or the 4 bolts on the side of gearbox.

Undo the 2 strut bolts, on the shock absorber, undo the tie rod end linkage. push it clear, grab the brake disc with both hands and yank really hard, and you should feel the drive shaft pop out, get a torch and double check. easy!

Better to do it this way, make sure you don't strain the brake hose though, if you are doing your clutch it will give you more space to wiggle the gearbox in and out.

Iam doing it right now on my 1.9jtd engine works a charm.
AO Gold Member
Welcome after your first post Fommy......but I suspect that after nearly 4 years Phear might have sorted the problem

Also, I think Phear's issue was with the later driveshaft which has a tripod joint, not the conventional CVJ held by 6 Allen screws....your method won't work with a tripod joint.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 16v , driveshaft , jtd , removal