High mileage 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 23-04-04 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

156 V6

High mileage 156

Thanks for the info regarding Selespeed now the next questions. I have a limited budget to get my 156 and have been looking at cars for about £4000 with 80-100000 miles. Is the 156 2.0 good for this mileage or should I avoid them like the plague. If they are good for it should I be looking for anything other than the usual stuff when buying a second hand car.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
Re: High mileage 156

must have new cam belts/ tensioners/ balancer belt + tensioner @ each 36K - if due one take this into account

Check its is not really rattly top end (hydraulic tappets so should be ok, if not avoid.

Also diesel sound at start up = variator. Best they are done with cam belts
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

147 GTA

Our 1999 2.0 156 has 147,000 miles on it and is still looking and sounding good. Mainly motorway driving and anything and everything has always been done main dealer.
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire

I should also listen for knocks from the Suspension, the bushes on the Anti Roll Bars, and Wishbones are prone to failure, even at fairly low Mileage. It seems to be a quality control problem because it isn't universal, but on a High Mileage car, it is probably more likely.
The Car will tend to feel a bit loose at the back, and and can skip off line on bumpy bends.
Thumbs Up Re: High mileage 156

I guess I should be able to answer this as the owner of a 1999 2.0TS with 84k on the clock. At this mileage it uses no oil whatsoever but does have a bit of variator noise on first start up for a second or two. I really should have changed the variator when I changed the belts, tensioners and pulley wheels at 72k, but at the time I didn't know what a variator was. The bodywork is great apart from a few stone chips, the interior is like new and the handling is still fantastic. I have had the occasional knock from the front wishbone bushes, but nothing in the last 6 months, and it passed its MoT no problem. Do watch out for faded paint though on red cars, and pay close attention to the windscreen aperture paintwork for rust - if the screen is replaced, the paint is easy damaged and after a period of time starts to rust, and you will have trouble making a warranty claim if Alfa did not do the windscreen replacement. In general, 156s do seem to be pretty durable.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , high , mileage