alfa romeo 147 rain sensor - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 19-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Shropshire
Madness alfa romeo 147 rain sensor

hello people i recently got a 147 with little problems which are nearly sorted. but it has had a new windscreen but they have not replaced the rain sensor ive called alfa and they want 110 quid for one.. i have looked on ebay and one off a fiat stillo looks very similar conection any one had the same problem..
also the brakers yards around here never have any 147s in any one help??
Sponsored Links
I'd leave it as is. Bonding the sensor to a standard windscreen is unlikely
to work 100%. (IMHO)

You may get a cracked windscreen in the future which would be the time to
replace it. (FOC)

The system should just work with standard intermittent wipe if there
is no sensor connected. You aren't missing much.
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

It is possible to get a 'rain sensor repair kit', which is the gel you need to refit it to the windscreen. Do a search on eBay perhaps?
EDIT: for my 156, the sensor is round, so this looks appropriate:

If the sensor is retained by something else (a spring-loaded cap on my 156), then perhaps it would work if you used clear silicone grease to fill the gap between the sensor and the windscreen. Mine appears to have a gap on one side and I was thinking of trying just that, but I'll look for one of those kits first.

'00 GTV V6, '08 FIAT 500, shell and parts for a '71 FIAT 850 Coupe
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT

147/156/GT Rain sensor, Refit and Retrofit

If the rain sensor is removed for windscreen replacement, it cannot be re-used. This is stated in the Alfa ELearn manual. It probably wont work if refitted with gel, etc. Sensor uses IR light reflected from the front surface of the glass, through the sensor/glass junction, and this has to be optically neutral. Replacement part no. is 46548671, about 100. The alfa GT has all the cables installed for the rain sensor (and the misting sensor) just under the courtesy light cover. Though you can retrofit a sensor to this, Alfa seen fit to not include the electronics in the wiper/lights/indicator switch console. This electronic module can't be bought seperately, you must purchase the entire switch stalk unit where it resides, of which there 12 variants. Part no 156040578 is the one with everthing, VDC (steering wheel rotation sensor), Steering wheel radio control, cruise control and Winter pack, with the electronics for the rain sensor, plus an output to front headlamp washers if fitted. Other versions of this switch unit have variations on the above four options, but they would all cost the same as a spare part, which could be higher than 200. See FIAT ePER
This and the difficulty of removing the Steering wheel, makes retrofitting the rain sensor expensive and tricky. I picked up a rain sensor hoping it was a straight plug and play, now I will have to create my own receiver for the sensor signals and tap them onto the wiper motor cables, the latter being the easy bit. I've yet to test the sensor output to see what signals it sends, its a 3 wire affair, 12v, earth and an output line, which will either be an analogue signal proportional to rainfall (easy to detect) or a serial pulse stream, which will be a challenge. I might just sell the original new sensor and fit one of these kits instead.
Rain Tracker Rain Sensing Windshield Wiper Controls
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

if youve had windscreen replaced job should have included rain sensor,put it this way would you have windscreen replaced without trims fitted insurance companies are billed for such so take it up with windscreen supplier
AO Silver Member
County: Staffordshire
think ive got a sensor pm me if you want it. cheers neil
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT

Chris, If the windscreen was replaced by the previous owner sans rain sensor, your insurance wont cover a replacement. On that note, how can you be sure it ever had a rain sensor? You'll need to be sure it was part of the original spec, as retrofit doesn't work without a full switch upgrade also. You can't reuse a sensor removed from an old car, not according to the Elearn service manual. See attached. The lens to screen adhesive is a one off job, another thread on this site tells the story of failed rain sensor operation after re-using the sensor following windscreen replacement, so beware.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elearn Alfa rain sensor.jpg (53.4 KB, 87 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , alfa , rain , romeo , sensor