Alfa 156, 2.4 JTD - Turbine failed? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 13-10-10 Thread Starter
County: City of Zagreb
Alfa 156, 2.4 JTD - Turbine failed?

Hi guys and gals :-)

I have a question regarding my beloved Alfa, so if anyone wishes to take a stab in the dark...

I own a 156 2.4 JTD 100kw, year 2000. I have bought it as a 3rd or 4th owner (I know, I know I'm always a dreamer and an optimist) and fixed quite a lot of stuff on it. New front suspension, new cooler and liquids, fixed air conditioning, measured engine compression (between 22-25 bar which I think is really good) and installed a good stereo. One part that was a bit shaky was the turbine but I thought it might last another year or so until I get some $$ to change that one too. It was a bit loud, the whistling sound and all but the car was fine and I never forced it above 3000 RPM, especially cold.

Well, it didnt last. 3 months into my joyride I heard metallic clinking noise, like screws in a Coke can, there was A LOT of white smoke behind the car :-) and the big rubber hose that fills the engine with turbo charged ait DIDNT become hard upon pressing the gas pedal (turbo not charging).

While I'm waiting for my auto repair guy to tell me what's wrong, any guesses? Dead turbine, aluminium "leafs", rotor, what? New turbo the best option, right?

Thanx and cheers!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire
had exactly this on a 306 Hdi, sounded like tin cans being dragged, It is the noise of the compressor/turbine wheel out of balance and contacting the turbo housing. Mine on being driven to the workshop to have repairs blew a hole through the side of the turbo.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa , failed , jtd , turbine