why i don't let the other half drive my car! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 11-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire
why i don't let the other half drive my car!

Basically, went round to my friends house last night for a couple(skinful!) of beers and a few games of poker.
I was accompanied by my girlfriend, and at about 11 o clock in the evening i decided i needed some cigarettes, but as i (and all my friends) were pretty wasted by this point, i sent her to the shop to get some for me in my car(she knows here role!!!)
all was fine until she came back into the cul de sac and tried to line the car up against one of those silly little wooden fences. she put it into reverse.........then bang.
we ran out of the house to find my car very thoughtfully parked in the fence minus half of my nearside front wing. FANTASTIC.

anyway, there is a question in all of this....i just bought a replacement off ebay in the correct azzurro fantasia colour and i was wondering how easy it is to switch wings over . i think im going to have to take off the side skirt, but then im at a bit of a loss as to where all the bolts are etc.
can anyone tell me where they are and a correct method for the swap....last thing i want to does is pay a bodyshop to do the job when its something that looks simple(ish)
cheers, scott
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
A fair bit of work, I'm afraid.....you'll need to remove the arch liner - several phillips screws, then two torx bolts hold the bumper to the wing (there's also a push-in "sprung" connector at the front edge of the bumper/wing join.) then there are the obvious bolts along the top of the wing - mostly torx but one 14mm, a torx bolt on the front bracket to the inner wing, a torx bolt normally buried under a mass of mastic on the vertical joint at the back of the wing, one hidden under the rubber trim at the top of the wing on the A-post, and finally a vertical torx through the bottom of the wing into the sill, and a phillips screw (which can be a real pain to remove - might be worth taking the door off to give better access) into the sill in the door aperture - and a huge lump of mastic sealing the bottom of the wing to the A-post.

Looking at your "new" wing should show the location of most of the fixings - at least you can be properly rough removing the old wing......

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
AO Member
County: West Midlands
Totally feel your pain brother!

My wife decided to ignore a very hot temp gauge near killing the engine beyond economical repair, then lost the only key we had for my previous 156 as I was saving the pennies to put her 1st f*** up right, meaning scrap yard for my baby!!!

My bags were well packed that night, oh the joys!
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 12-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
cheers for that help, greatly appreciated rgwm.
women....you can't live with 'em, but you can't shoot 'em neither!
(hope she doesn't see this or i'll be in the doghouse lol!!)
AO Member
I do feel for you mate as i am having to sell my 156 SW as the woman wont drive it as it is too big, thankfully i have a 147 which she actually likes and i have another project to work on so she said im not allowed to have all these toys. I am sure that in Mongolia there is a law that allows you to shot your wife if she does something stupid

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

car , drive , half