Nitrogen inflated tyres - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 19-04-04 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
Nitrogen inflated tyres

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day (he drives a Peugeot 406 coupe 2,2 lit) and I noticed the green valve caps on his car's wheels so I asked and he told me that he had his tyres filled up with nitrogen and ever since that day he got a sense of more rigid behaviour from the tyres. My question to all you guys is if anyone has tried that in his/her bella and any impressions will be welcome.
I wonder if it's worth the money. Some tyre shops here charge 15-25 euros for the original fillup and some give you a life-long re-check/re-fill.

Alfa Romeo e PAOK....oggetti del desiderio a Macedonia
Sponsored Links
Regional Representative
For South Africa - AO-SA
County: Gauteng
Re: Nitrogen inflated tyres

Did this on all my cars, in the ZA heat (and obviously Greece as well) it is definitely worth it. Nitrogen is more stable (does not expand as much as air) so the tyre pressure stays more constant. This will give you much better mileage. It does not get as hot as air either, so the tyre temperature stays more constant as well.
AO Platinum Member
Re: Nitrogen inflated tyres

The advantage of Nitrogen over Air is that it is dry.
The unknown moisture content in Air (and Air is mostly Nitrogen anyway) can give unpredictable pressure rises.
Because pure Nitrogen is dry it always expands at the same rate so pressure rise in the tyre will always be the same.

A predictable pressure rise is very important in motorsport and Nitrogen has been used in motorsport many years.

Most garage airlines have moisture filters to remove water to prevent damage to air-tools so you will get a similar result for no cost.

Remember you still need to check your tyre pressures when cold, which will be impossible if you need to drive to a tyre shop to do it.

Unless you have money that you must spend, don't bother with Nitrogen on a road car.

David C

Audi TT 3.2v6 DSG
xAlfa 156 Selespeed sp3 + Brembo conversion
Fiat Cinquecento 899cc

Last edited by David C; 19-04-04 at 10:44.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

inflated , nitrogen , tyres