Rubber 'whiskers' on Alfa GT - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rubber 'whiskers' on Alfa GT

I went to get a couple of quotes today to get my bumper resprayed and undertray replaced on my GT. This happened on my 'outback' trip documented elsewhere. The first place I saw was Shipstone who are really good and they actually put my car on a hoist and used ties and screws as a temporary solution for the undertray on my car which was that far gone it was a couple of cms. off the ground and wouldn't have lasted too many kilometres.

A couple of questions that nobody has ever been able to answer. Attached to the bottom of the bumper was two rubber "whiskers" for want of a better word, around 1ft, long one on each side of the bottom. They've been ripped off but what do these achieve? I can't see them being any use for aerodynamics nor brake cooling or anything else I can think of. Are they worth to be part of the claim?

Also I want to mention everything I can to the insurance assessor whom I see tomorrow. During my long trip and afterwards the ABS and VDC lights are coming on intermittently. Could running over the bumpy roads and potholes caused some kind of sensors to be screwed. I can start the car and they will come on sometimes. I can be driving and they can come on sometimes. Re-starting gets rid of it so far. These never came on before my trip and my battery is relatively new.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Gloucestershire
Funny that, I was under my car today (effin side light bulbs!) and finished the job that the speed bumps had started by pulling off the rubber deflectors.
I noticed that later cars don't have them, so I figured they don't need replacing.
Not sure if they were specific to all earlier GTs or just the 3.2 ?
Regional Representative
For East Midlands - AOEM
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

I had them on mine but they gave up the ghost in France at Easter and I pulled them off. Dont think they actually do anything worthwhile
AO Member
County: Bucks

Member car:

Believe it or not, they are aerodynamic. They push the air round the moving tyre, it's said to help although you can run without them no problem
Originally Posted by whatmoretyres View Post
Believe it or not, they are aerodynamic. They push the air round the moving tyre, it's said to help although you can run without them no problem
I don't think I'll bother. On my 'big trip' documented elsewhere, I sat on the speed limit for 99.5% of the time but in a foolish moment out in the sticks I pushed the car, (without the deflectors), to 250kmh. and backed off never to break the speed limit again on my trip.

The car stuck to the road like a limpet at that speed and apart from a rather disconcerting feeling of speed the car felt the same as if I was doing 100kmh. Mind you doing an emergency stop or hitting something would have been a different story. The road I did it on was flat and straight up to the horizon, no cars for 100s of kilometres, with no vegetation on either side so I could see that no animals were around to jump out. Never again. I tried it once just to get to 250kmh. which I've always wanted to do once in my GT.

It would have done a few more kmh. if I kept on with it a bit longer. It was foolish I agree. The deflectors won't be needed for aerodynamics as far as I can see especially at any sane speeds.

In the Northern Territory a good many years ago, they had no speed limit and they would have an unlimited race on the road. Legal at that stage. A guy from Japan had an F40 Ferrari and a cameraman at the side of the road was filming and the F40 lost control and ended up hitting the camerman after losing control. The driver was killed, plus his passenger plus the cameraman. It was all on film up to the point of impact. Pretty scary footage. The race was made illegal soon after.

Last edited by PT14; 04-10-10 at 21:41.
Moved to General Alfa Discussion by myself.

Last edited by PT14; 04-10-10 at 21:42.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , rubber , whiskers