Broken studs on exaust connection to cylinder head - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 02-10-10 Thread Starter
County: Setúbal

Member car:

alfa 156 2.4 d

Help Broken studs on exaust connection to cylinder head

hello to all i am the proud owner of a alfa 156 2.4 jtd from 2003 unfortunatly i found out that i have 1 Broken stud+a second stud tread gone on exaust connection to cylinder head on the 5th cylinder , with exaust gases passing throw the gasket .makes a nice wisteling noise .

does anyone know how complicated this repair is , my biggest worry are the torques to give the nuts after replacing all of them .

has anyone done this already ? all help is welcome .
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Lancashire

Member car:

156 2.4 JTD

Best thing to do is take the manifold off and give yourself plenty of room.Try and grind a 'dimple' in the offending stud,this stops the drill bit sliding about if the stud is uneven.Centre pop it then start off with a smallish drill bit then work your way up.Hardest thing is keeping the drill bit central,once you go off and into the ally then the drill bit will want to take the easiest route.The stud may also have 'hardened' so something else to watch out for.
If you've managed to do it right,tap it to the right size and fit your new stud.If it hasn't gone well,maybe buy a helicoil kit(cheaper than taking head off etc I guess)and helicoil it.

Failing all that,take the head off,take it to an engineering shop,have it helicoiled or spark erosion.
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Punto Hgt

If theres any of the stud sticking out try a stud extractor, it saves drilling. Basically the more pressure you put on the rachet the harder it grips, the stud will then either come out or it'll slip off and your back to drilling

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

broken , connection , cylinder , exaust , head , studs