Stick On Badges - Page 11 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT JTDm

Also looking for new badges! Those ones where you have to drill the old one off look good. Anyone actually got them? do the new ones just stick on by the looks of it? There must be a 'frame' behind the old badge once removed to stick this one too right?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

Last edited by Spider95; 05-09-15 at 17:36.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider95 View Post
Same badges as posted earlier from Bulgaria. ok but not exactly like the real thing.
these aren't the bulgarian ones. the bulgarian are better.

AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider95 View Post
Same badges as posted earlier from Bulgaria. ok but not exactly like the real thing.
Well the Polish stickers I ended up buying were ****. No other way of describing them really.. Wrong size, wrong colour, just looked naff.. For about 4 it was worth a punt to see, but they were proper crap so save your money guys!

On the other hand, last weekend I bought these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2512494735...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ordered on the 6th Feb, expected arrival between 24th of Feb and 12th of March... Well they turned up today

MUCH better! Look the part alright, gonna have a go at fitting them today!

AO Silver Member

Well they're on!

Very easy to fit, took about 10 mins all in all... Including slapping on a coat of wax on the new badges before sticking them on the car!

1. Apply wax to new badges, leave on bench in garage to dry.
2. Drill small hole through the old badge, directly in the center - I used a 3.5mm HSS bit. There's a recess behind the center of the front badge that the drill bit punches into so that's no trouble, but no space behind the rear one. Go slowly at the back and stop drilling as soon as you're through the metal and dipping into the plastic underside.
3. Use a small flathead screwdriver (I used an electricians one) to gently prise the metal badge away from the rest of the badge support. Careful not to dig the screwdriver into the car!
4. Once it was reasonably free, I used some thin needlenose pliers to work around loosening off the old badge/adhesive until the badge peeled away.
5. Clean up the adhesive - I used a craft knife blade to remove the worst of it, then some acetone on a rag to soften up the remnants and wiped clean.
6. Once surface is clean and dry, buff off the wax from the new badges on the bench, remove the adhesive backing paper, align the metal tab at the bottom, and stick it on!

Simple simple simple! Looks exactly like original part
J200GLB likes this.
AO Member

County: Bayern
These arrived from China... The aliexpress link I posted above. They look quite good. Gonna put them as soon I get a bit of time. Really cheap at 14 for 5pcs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1423930183911.jpg (41.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 1423930242723.jpg (42.1 KB, 24 views)
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
Well they're on!

Very easy to fit, took about 10 mins all in all... Including slapping on a coat of wax on the new badges before sticking them on the car!

1. Apply wax to new badges, leave on bench in garage to dry.
2. Drill small hole through the old badge, directly in the center - I used a 3.5mm HSS bit. There's a recess behind the center of the front badge that the drill bit punches into so that's no trouble, but no space behind the rear one. Go slowly at the back and stop drilling as soon as you're through the metal and dipping into the plastic underside.
3. Use a small flathead screwdriver (I used an electricians one) to gently prise the metal badge away from the rest of the badge support. Careful not to dig the screwdriver into the car!
4. Once it was reasonably free, I used some thin needlenose pliers to work around loosening off the old badge/adhesive until the badge peeled away.
5. Clean up the adhesive - I used a craft knife blade to remove the worst of it, then some acetone on a rag to soften up the remnants and wiped clean.
6. Once surface is clean and dry, buff off the wax from the new badges on the bench, remove the adhesive backing paper, align the metal tab at the bottom, and stick it on!

Simple simple simple! Looks exactly like original part
Thanks just ordered a set. Post some pics if you can mate.

Cheers
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seangtjtdm View Post
Thanks just ordered a set. Post some pics if you can mate.

Cheers
Will grab some pics tomorrow once the cars clean

This is what the old badges looked like once removed however, you can see the fading/peeling etc., also the mess I made of them during removal!

https://i.imgur.com/FkN945U.jpg
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Will grab some pics tomorrow once the cars clean

This is what the old badges looked like once removed however, you can see the fading/peeling etc., also the mess I made of them during removal!

https://i.imgur.com/FkN945U.jpg
poor thing
AO Member

County: Galway
The front badge of my Alfa GT is looking a little worse for wear so was thinking of a replacement. Anyone used these:

2X Alfa Romeo Classic Emblem Badge FOR 147 156 GT 159 Brera Mito Giulietta | eBay

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252109708981

Last edited by Punky1968; 02-10-15 at 10:47.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky1968 View Post
The front badge of my Alfa GT is looking a little worse for wear so was thinking of a replacement. Anyone used these:

2X Alfa Romeo Classic Emblem Badge FOR 147 156 GT 159 Brera Mito Giulietta | eBay

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252109708981
exactly what I used but in the black/white combo. Oh and they were 3 for a pair, delivered, on aliexpress!

Pull the old ones off and attach these. You will need some silicon sealant or no more nails etc to keep them in place.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Well the Polish stickers I ended up buying were ****. No other way of describing them really.. Wrong size, wrong colour, just looked naff.. For about 4 it was worth a punt to see, but they were proper crap so save your money guys!

On the other hand, last weekend I bought these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2512494735...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ordered on the 6th Feb, expected arrival between 24th of Feb and 12th of March... Well they turned up today

MUCH better! Look the part alright, gonna have a go at fitting them today!
Well a little over a year later, and the front badge has bubbled up and the colour's all faded out...

So looking for another now... Anyone got some top tips? Seems like there's loads to choose from now!
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
Well a little over a year later, and the front badge has bubbled up and the colour's all faded out...

So looking for another now... Anyone got some top tips? Seems like there's loads to choose from now!
I had the same problem after a year or so, so when I recently bought the new style badges I got a paint shop to apply a couple of coats of lacquer before I fitted them, lacquer generally contains a UV protector and it should stop the corrosion, well at least delay it.
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
I use the metal plate badges too, I lacquer them myself they seem to last pretty well. GT has been over a year now and all good so far!
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Mine on the GT were fine. Replaced them on this current 159 too.
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
Blimey it's a long time since this thread popped back up to the top. As a previous contributer to this or to a very similar one Let me just say I've tried every option mentioned on the thread so far. I don't rate the vinyl stickers at all. the bulgarian ones don't look too bad for a while but they fade, and are weather affected and start to peal up a little around the edges eventually at which point they look an awfully cheap solution. The chinese plastic badges look like the real thing as far as construction and shape is concerned but the pale blue section is a sort of Metallic turquoise and not correct in my opinion for the 156, 147, GT cars. on which that part is a sky blue on the originals. Whether the newer models have different colours and they are correct for them I don't know. The ebay badges from Italy are much more accurately coloured but are slightly more expensive and fade as fast as the real thing ( I suspect they are the real thing but being sold by the component supplier direct, rather than being supplied to Alfa and attached to the badge assy.)
To answer a very old post, Enamel simply means "shiney" so in theory any shiney coating is an enamel and no more should be assumed from the name than that. Vitreous Enamel is based on coloured glass ands has to be melted into place usually onto a copper base, it does fade a little eventually but colour wise is probably the hardiest of all the options, lapel badges are still made this way sometimes and car badges used to be occasionally but they are brittle and can be scratched and cracked. it's also the stuff they used to put on metal baths. Humbrol enamels, much loved by assemblers of airfix kits are also pretty hard wearing and colourfast they probably come second after vitreous for colour retention in my opinion. they take ages to dry properly but you don't need a kiln to apply them as you do with vitreous, and because the gloss colours dry slowly the brush marks tend to smooth out well first. I have an old badge of a GT which is completely chrome now having not a trace of colour or plastic left on it and I am tempted to try painting in the various sections with Humbrol but to make it completely smooth I'd still need to cover it with encapsulating resin or similar afterwards to get that perfect domed shape. At the moment I get the Italian ones and replace them when the condition starts to annoy me ( about 20 months last time) for me it's the best compromise between cost, authenticity and convenience. but I'm always on the look out for a "better way"
AO Silver Member

Well I ordered a new set of the stick-on metal caps - same design as the Italian ones I used first time, but from within the UK and cheaper to buy...

Will have to see how the colour reproduction is when they arrive...

If all is good with them, I think I'll lay a few coats of clear lacquer over them from a rattle can, then sand/polish to a smooth finish.. See if that helps them retain their colour!

Not bothered by the new design or black/silver colour options myself, want to keep it original for now!
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshirekeith View Post
Blimey it's a long time since this thread popped back up to the top. As a previous contributer to this or to a very similar one Let me just say I've tried every option mentioned on the thread so far. I don't rate the vinyl stickers at all. the bulgarian ones don't look too bad for a while but they fade, and are weather affected and start to peal up a little around the edges eventually at which point they look an awfully cheap solution. The chinese plastic badges look like the real thing as far as construction and shape is concerned but the pale blue section is a sort of Metallic turquoise and not correct in my opinion for the 156, 147, GT cars. on which that part is a sky blue on the originals. Whether the newer models have different colours and they are correct for them I don't know. The ebay badges from Italy are much more accurately coloured but are slightly more expensive and fade as fast as the real thing ( I suspect they are the real thing but being sold by the component supplier direct, rather than being supplied to Alfa and attached to the badge assy.)
To answer a very old post, Enamel simply means "shiney" so in theory any shiney coating is an enamel and no more should be assumed from the name than that. Vitreous Enamel is based on coloured glass ands has to be melted into place usually onto a copper base, it does fade a little eventually but colour wise is probably the hardiest of all the options, lapel badges are still made this way sometimes and car badges used to be occasionally but they are brittle and can be scratched and cracked. it's also the stuff they used to put on metal baths. Humbrol enamels, much loved by assemblers of airfix kits are also pretty hard wearing and colourfast they probably come second after vitreous for colour retention in my opinion. they take ages to dry properly but you don't need a kiln to apply them as you do with vitreous, and because the gloss colours dry slowly the brush marks tend to smooth out well first. I have an old badge of a GT which is completely chrome now having not a trace of colour or plastic left on it and I am tempted to try painting in the various sections with Humbrol but to make it completely smooth I'd still need to cover it with encapsulating resin or similar afterwards to get that perfect domed shape. At the moment I get the Italian ones and replace them when the condition starts to annoy me ( about 20 months last time) for me it's the best compromise between cost, authenticity and convenience. but I'm always on the look out for a "better way"
Quote:
Well I ordered a new set of the stick-on metal caps - same design as the Italian ones I used first time, but from within the UK and cheaper to buy...

Will have to see how the colour reproduction is when they arrive...

If all is good with them, I think I'll lay a few coats of clear lacquer over them from a rattle can, then sand/polish to a smooth finish.. See if that helps them retain their colour!

Not bothered by the new design or black/silver colour options myself, want to keep it original for now!
Lol, both the "Italian" ones and the ones from the UK originate from the same place - China.

2 pack lacquer will give much better results than lacquer from a can , The Editor.
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

Mine are still good after a year. If anything the badges were not that bad originally. But I guess least the sticker saves them. Ha.

Cheap fix and im happy with mine.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
my black and silver ones are looking great after 9 months but I just ordered new ones ready to change out in case they have a car wash ''accident'' or just start looking sloppy.

at 4 delivered I figure i can change them yearly, they are the cap type and with a bit of time spent fitting them and making sure they are waxed they look great.

its nice to have so many options..
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezley View Post
Mine on the GT were fine. Replaced them on this current 159 too.
I had them for about 4 years on the GT. Never faded and looked as good as when I bought them. I'm not sure they came from the same supplier I bought the 159 ones from mind.

Anyone tried the first ones on the top of this page?
Alfa Romeo 159 Badge

Thinking about getting them for front and back of a 2006 159.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
badges , stick

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page