GT -v- SW - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 27-09-10 Thread Starter
County: Stirling

Member car:

Alfa GT

Hmmm GT -v- SW

Okay it's confession time. I know nothing about the inner workings of the motor vehicle and am looking for some advice as I look to replace my five year old GT which has not given me a minute's problem. Obviously it has to be an Alfa (my fifth to date and I change cars about as often as England win World Cups). I want a petrol car as I only do about 8k p.a. and anyway just don't like diesals. I'd go for a Brera but it's just too small as occasionally I need to carry passengers. I wondered about another GT but a change would be nice. That more or less leaves the 159 as it looks a lot better than the Guilletta and a SW TBi is very much on the radar. It has about 200bhp but it is bigger than the GT. Does anyone know if there will be much difference in power either positively or negatively if I make the change? How about mpg? Finally, is there a difference in body styling between the Lusso and the Ti? Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
Go for a 156 SW, mine eats 159 TBi for breakfast
AO Member
County: West Midlands
Its not quite the question you asked, but I recently changed from a 156 SW to a GT. Bearing in mind the 159 is slightly more roomy than a 156, I noticed the following things.

There is more leg room in the back of an SW, but not much. But what my rear seat passengers have told me, the SW had more head room for them, plus being a 4 door car it is much more practical for those in the back.

Also although the SW boot is larger, most of that space comes from the fact that the rear of the car doesn't slope down anywhere near as much as the GT (hence the head room comment above). The actual boot space under the parcel shelf is pretty much the same. You could stack stuff much higher in an SW.

But, importantly, all the time I owned the SW, I always had this nagging feeling that it was just an Estate (a bloody good looking one mind). When I switched to the GT I felt like I was in a car with much more presense, (if you get what I mean).

Hope that helps (not sure it does though )

When you are having a bad day, when the world seems populated by idiots, when everything you try ends in frustration and anger ask yourself this…..

“What would Tony Soprano do?”
AO Gold Member
A mate of mine has just recently bought a 159 Tbi wagon - he also has a 156 V6 and a 166 V6 - and he's very impressed with the 159 - apparently good low-down torque until the revs rise and the turbo takes over. Very good looking wagon too - I like our 156 wagon, but the 159 definitely beats it in the glamour stakes

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT