Reviews and Reliability - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 26-09-10 Thread Starter
County: Stirling

Member car:

Alfa GT

Reviews and Reliability

It doesn't matter what review about what Alfa you read there is always a big question mark over reliability. I've owned 4 alfas: 75 2 years), 164 (3 years), 156 (5 years) and my present GT (5 years). All petrol models and other than general servicing the only problems I have had was a new clutch required for the 75 which was second hand when I bought it and a leaky hose on the GT. Before the 75 I had a VW Golf and it was the most unreliable motor I've ever owned. Am I just lucky? Or is the reliability issue a hangover from the 70's and perpetuated by Alfa owners to keep prices down? Looking to buy a 159 SW TBi next - hope I've not jinxed it but once an Alfa driver...
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

I havnt found them any less reliable than anything else. They are a bit more fussy about servicing but compared to the BMWs i have have owned they are a paragon of virtue. I think most of the problems can be traced to poor servicing and owners skipping things like belt changes and not checking oil.
AO Member
County: Kent
My GT has been as reliable as any other car owned,maybe older alfas did have reliability issues,and so for a lot of people it's a case of mud sticks ,just look at skoda built by vw but still struggling to lift the image .
Like most things if you look after them then there are no problems other than consumables and general wear and tear items. Alfas rule, nuffsaid
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
All of the Alfa's I have owned (14 of them) have been very reliable.

Neglect and ignorance are the root of most problems.

Having said that, some things like cambelts, and wishbones wear out sooner than they should do.
AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands
a couple of things spring to mind

first new Alfas are often bought by the people who buy them for how they look, and do not understand the importance of the above

then the dealers make matters worse by either not coughing up for warranty work or not fixing it at all

and looking at one website there are quite alot of old Alfas still going which may pull the average down a bit, BMWs and Audis do not last any better, they just go out of vogue in business circles and get scrapped after 10 years as technology is old and any prestige has gone, an Alfa on the other hand still looks pretty and drives well. and contribute to such surveys skewing the data.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

reliability , reviews