Hi Guys n Gells
having modified loads of turbo'd cars, petrol and diesel, i know how important retaining the boost level is, and the dramatic cost in losses of weaknesses in the system, but ive never come across a car that sadly must have the worst record of unrelaibility as far as the standard Intercooler Pipes go.
My own JTD Sportwagon has needed the Bottom hose repalcing by just 50k, and the top hose by 70k, according to the Service History and the receipts, and clearly i'm not alone, i have many threads and heard many stories about split hoses on here.
Well, no more!
I ran FiatECUscan on my own car to graph some settings, including desired boost level, actual boost measurement, etc etc, and the reading indicated to me what i suspected, boost levels were allowed to spike and fall inconsistently, pointing me towards a suspect leak, or weakness at least.
I didn't find a leak, but did find the stock intercooler pipes are really quite soft compared to most stock rubber pipework, particualrly for a Common Rail Turbo Diesel boost levels, and i believe its the balooning effect of these poor hoses that was giving me the results i had, and the inconsistent drive i get.
I would also likely blame the softness of the stock hoses for the likelihood of them splitting and failing so often, they simply aren't up to the job of the JTD boost levels, so, only one thing for it, as Joe1968 will concurr when Luigu fell ill, they had to be made of harder stuff!
So, i built these beauties
These now sit proudly where the rubbish rubber was, and have made a significant difference too, i now know for sure that the boost level was inconsistent due to weak hoses, even though as i stated above, neither of mine were split, damaged, or very old, simply not up to the job.
Beacause i now retain ALL the boost the turbo makes, i think i need a re-map, to remove some!!!! ha ha!!!
Car feels more responsive, and more consistently stronger, turbo is having a reall easy time of it these days thanks to decat and hard pipes, and the car is flying!
They are made from T304 2" ID Mandrel Bent pieces, and i simply used the ends of my own rubber hoses and 4 more clamps to create the couplers onto the Intercooler, Air Intake and Throttle Body, and this helps keep some flexibility in the system, and keeps the cost down by not buying expensive Samco couplers uneccessarily when you the car already has the right shape and sized hoses to use as i did. The fitting took me about 10 minutes, once i'd cut the hose couplers, a real doddle.
I've got more photos, showing them on the car if anyone wants them, just holla, and i'll put them up, or send details to your email address if you provide it.