Recommendations for 3rd year service on my GT Blackline
My pride and joy is just approaching its 3rd birthday and requires a service. I have two basic questions:
1) What type of service should I have? (not as simple as I first thought)
2) Where would people recommend to get it serviced?
1) Last year I had the cheaper "low mileage service" as my work mileage has been low. Another year on at just under 21K miles (I think) it is still low for a 35 month old car.
The low mileage has meant I've been quoted different options when I've rung up and would be interested in people's views on the relative merits or otherwise of these:
- "low mileage service" - various checks plus air, fuel filter replacement and oil change. Plus labour. Have 1 quote of £240.
- 24k service - as above plus pollen filter change. 1-1.5 hours. Have 1 quote of £274 and 1 of £350.
- 36k service - as above plus brake fluid change. 3 hours. Have 1 quote of £479.
2) Do I go independent or stick with authorised service centres now my car is nearly out of warranty?
I'm based in Salford - so any recommendations for local options would be appreciated.
I'm considering Bauer Millet who I know have been working on Alfas for the last 18 months (previous experience is large American cars). I've just spoken to a very polite workshop manager who kindly answered all my questions in regard to the service. So at this stage I'm considering going with them, but am certainly interested if anyone has any first hand experience? I've seen one comment on here about them that I perceive as negative and others are mainly about Sales not servicing.
Other options are Platts (where I got the car), but it's over 100 mile round trip and past service costs have always been a bit pricey (but generally I've found them to be good).
Mangoletsi - who serviced the vehicle last time and were good, but I did have to wait ages on collecting the vehicle for it to be ready. They put me in touch with G&J Lees to sort out where my car had been keyed - they did an excellent repair job.
Any suggestions and experiences would be appreciated.
Cheers in advance.
Last edited by maccas17; 29-09-10 at 14:44.