noisey wipers - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 23-09-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Oxfordshire
Help noisey wipers

Any answers?????

Same old problem,which was usually rectified by buying genuine wipers every year on the 147.

However not so on the new GT and with rain sensitive wipers it becomes really annoying

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
Bosch branded ones always sort it on cars I've had. Cheaper than OE but still not cheap
AO Member
Noisy wipers and judder are caused by a poor angle of attack, if you stop them 1/2 way on the judder stroke you will see that the rubber is pointing the direction of travel, instead of flipping over, simply twist the arm a little bit very carefully until the rubber flips as the blade changes direction.
AO Member

Member car:

2.0 GT

do you twist the arm so as to make the leading edge of the arm slope down towards the direction of travel where the judder occurs ? I wondered if it was because there is quite a lot of movement from the drive spindle . you can move it up and down as if it's rubber mounted. is it or is something worn or broken. has anyone else had success with this ?
AO Member
County: Highlands

Member car:

Fully agree with above, 'tweaking' the arms to get the wiper to sit correctly is usually a good cure and time well spent.
For me the solution has always been in cleaning effort, I clean the screen thoroughly with a glass cleaner and then treat it with something like Rainex. It really does make a difference to wiper judder and improves smoothness and visibility no end. I could be preaching to the converted, but I'm a Rainex fan
It's only part of the trick, IMHO to get the best out of your cleaning effort and reduce the amount of wiper judder you need to do the wiper blades too..... not with Rainex, I use a drop of vinegar (the clear stuff) on a microfibre cloth and clean the blades thoroughly. I've used this method on all of my cars and the 'fleet' vehicles at work and (so far......) no judder issues at all.
If I'm feeling very 'keen' I will strip the cover off the scuttle panel and lube up the wiper linkages too - on older vehicles in particular that's time well spent.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

noisey , wipers