Thoughts on facelifted 166?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Martin Livingstone
Thoughts on facelifted 166??

Whilst we are on about facelifts, what do people think about the 166 facelift?

I think the old 166 looks terrific apart from the "sad" front but now it has more road presence, especially if seen in a rear view mirror! The back and sides are v sexy I think.

But...I've seen a few 166s with body kits and different alloys - what a transformation. I'm desperate for a 166 but my 156 is just too reliable and that's the bit I'm finding hard to justify when looking at changing right now. Hopefully the depreciation on new 166s will be rocket powered as well.

The prices of 166s vary a lot as well. e.g There is a basic 2.5 V6 166, 51 plate @28,000 miles for 8,500 which is a lot of car for a little money. Could always add wheels and spoiler to it. The other extreme is a full body kit + alloys 2.5 V6 @36,000 miles on a 52 plate for .....17,000 and it doesn't have all the toys either 'cept leather.

I've had a drive of a V6 and a Twin Spark (Lusso, leather etc. 13,500, delivery mileage, reg Oct 03 53 plate) but whilst the 2.0 litre is very smooth to drive, it feels underpowered. I can't see the point of dropping the 2.5 V6 and retaining the 3.0 V6 whilst having a 3.2 V6 at the top end, however I can see why the marketing people kept the 2.0

Oh yes - black leather interior is very gloomy and claustrophobic. Cream leather and chrome is like being in a conservatory!

Starting to ramble now, so I'll shut up..........
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Bristol
Re: Thoughts on facelifted 166??

I was trying to find pics of it the other day...any ideas?
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Edna Mode!

I think that the facelifted 166 is the way the car should've been intended in the first place. The design of the 'old' 166 was not in harmony, if you ask me. Same like the new Audi A3, the Renault Megane II, the VW Golf V for instance: the fronts and the end of these cars just don't match. The same goes for the old 166. The new one finally got a nose, that suits its rear very well. At least, that's what I think.
Martin Livingstone

Yep - I seem to recall that the 166 was already designed, but building was delayed, in favour of rushing in the 156, which in hindsight was an excellent decision. That's why it had the same nose as 145/146.

I think AR UK only expect to sell ~250 of 166 models this year - later on in the summer I will see if I can be brass necked enough to go around the dealers asking for a ludicrous (i.e realistic) price for a new/nearly new V6

The trouble is that I usually lust after another car once I've had one for a while, but in the case of the 156 V6 that just hasn't happened yet after nearly 5 years- I'm still in lust with it.

AO Platinum Member

Yes the 166 is really the oldest car in the Alfa range (excluding the GTV/Spider) so really it was due for a facelift some time ago.
AO Member

Originally Posted by Giles
I was trying to find pics of it the other day...any ideas?
Here are some, Giles

Last edited by coshh; 11-04-04 at 18:28.

On the subject of fronts not matching backs, i think that is the downfall of the facelift GTV/Spider!

I love the facelift 156 from the front, but the back isn't as nice, moving the badge on the boot, changing the angle of the inside edges of the rear lights and putting that body line in the boot continuing from the top edge of the lights to the middle give it an uneasy, 'pinched' look! It does look great as a Sportwagen though! Wot u lot reckon?
AO Platinum Member
County: -

I think the 'old' 166 is more individual ... I'd hate to see all Alfas looking the same....
AO Silver Member
County: Setúbal

Pasi I have the same feelings...
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

The old 166 might be more individual but that new 166 front looks really good - much better than for example the new GTV front.

But it is a shame that Alfa have decided to make all the fronts so similar.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

166 , facelifted , thoughts