Help Please, Alfa 156 1.9JTD Flywheel/Clutch Problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 22-09-10 Thread Starter
County: Hampshire

Member car:

156 1.9JTD

Help Please, Alfa 156 1.9JTD Flywheel/Clutch Problem

Hi All,

new to this forum and need some help. Took my 156 1.9 JTD (140 BHP version I think) to the garage as had terrible problems with the clutch. The garage (local one) has said that the clutch and the Flywheel need replacing and have quoted me 1156 + VAT for the job, which includes 600 for the new flywheel which the garage say they are getting direct from Alfa (Italy!).

Now I have searched online and found a flywheel from EuroCar Parts at 290.00 -

Valeo Alfa Romeo - Euro Car Parts UK

and a clutch kit from bypartsby for 90 + VAT -

Buy Parts By

But the guy from the garage says that he has had problems before with cheap flywheels because the starter settings were wrong and the car wouldn't start? I have never heard of this and don't know if he is talking BS, but he has said he will fit the parts if I buy them but if they don't work he will charge more labout costs to take them out and more labour again to fit the more expensive direct parts.

Help Please!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Find another garage.
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

brera 2.4d

Flywheels are not normally made by a range of manufacturers, The one euros list are made by either LUK or Valeo both o.e. suppliers to Fiat/Alfa. I have encountered the non-start problem once on a transit, but that was because it was a new version for which the wrong flywheel was supplied. I should have checked it more closely (I did check it quickly) Euros are excellent for things like DMFs because they buy direct from the manufacturer. Alfa don't actually make these so when you get them through a dealer your paying through the nose. Incidentally your garage will be able to get a discount from the dealer, even if it's only 10% it's still an extra 60 he earns. Perfectly legitemate but may be cluoding his judgement! Job should'nt really cost more than 750-800 unless you're using a franchised dealer.
Complete load of bull. A flywheel for my 2.4 20v is indeed about 800 EUR/600 GBP, but the ones for 16v are about half / two-thirds of that price. The clutch kit is up to 400 EUR, so even the total for my 20v would be lower than what that garage is asking for (and the prices I mentioned include VAT).
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

147 JTDM 16V

What's wrong with the clutch exactly, is it slipping or just stiff and notchy ? If it's stiff and notchy it probably isn't the clutch itself but the release mechanism.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 19jtd , alfa , flywheel or clutch , problem