Single wheel refurb - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 17-09-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire
Single wheel refurb

Does anyone have any experience of having a single alloy wheel refurbished?

I have had a coming together with a large Mercedes who fortunately only hit my rear wheel. Her numberplate screw has gouged 7 or 8 of the spokes (17" multispoke). She has admitted liability and has said she will pay for a refurb.

My concern is whether a refurber will be able to do an accurate colour match to the remaining wheels - I thought they use a range of 'standard' silver colours, not manufacturer specific?

Also, how long is it likely to take? I might need to take into account the cost of a hire car, in which case it may just be as cheap for her to buy me a new wheel

Any ideas/opinions?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire
Rite Glen this is how it will work, if you get a SMART repair tech in to fix your wheel then they do only use standard colours and in which case you might see a slight difference but you would notice a bigger differnec if they have to refurb the whole wheel but if it is just the odd spoke here and there then you will hardly notice. As for time a good SMART repair tech should be able to have your wheel done in a couple of hours for a full refurb and about an hour for the odd touch up here and there. They would also come to your place of work or your home so no need for hire car.
If you want an exact match to the colour then i would suggest searching a proper alloy wheel refurb company in your area as they can get hold of the paint code and make the paint up. Usally if you have it done this way a single wheel could be done in a few hours depending on how busy they are. You could take the wheel into them and run your car on the spare and collect the wheel later that day? This way you are going to get an exact match wheel to the other wheels.
As for cost you will have to shop around and play each of them off until you get a price you are happy with. I would normally charge £55 for a wheel like yours for a full refurb and exact paint match but would charge £35 for a quick touch (SMMART repair) up and standard colour.
Hope this has helped

Gone in 60 seconds but better stood still for 60 minutes, my Alfa Romeo 166, GTV & 156 SW, its an AlfaHolic problem i have
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 17-09-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire
Thanks for the info.

I'm not too worried about the cost, as the other party will be picking up the tab for it.

The damage is a spiral starting from the outer rim, gradually getting closer to the centre of the wheel on each spoke (if you imagine a rotating wheel rolling across a stationary point you'll get the idea) The damage was caused by the number plate screw on her car, so it has gone through the paint and on some of the spokes it has also gouged into the alloy by an 1/8" or so. it will need filling as well as painting.

I'm not too keen on running on the spare as it is a space saver, and I generally do 100-200 miles per day.

So, I reckon it would need to be a full refurb with colour match, and possibly a hire car for the day.

As the accident was not my fault, I'm also trying to minimise my hassle!

I'll try to find a 'proper' refurb company near me and get some prices/opinions.

Anyone know of somewhere good in South Bedfordshire?

Or should I just tell her to get me a new wheel?

AO Gold Member
County: Brokopondo
A good refurb shop should have a spare wheel of your size that they could loan you if you leave one rim in with them.
AO Platinum Member
County: Lincolnshire
Hi there

I've got 18'' alloys on my car, and have just had 2 of my wheels re-furbed today and the colour match is perfect
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Which multispokes do you have, the ones with the small triangle between each spoke?

There are brand new ones on ebay for £150 - not cheap but not so bad if you're looking at a refurb and a days car rental.
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
Good idea. If it has been damaged by another driver I would ask that she buys a replacement wheel rather than the refurb.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

refurb , single , wheel