GT ignition switch change - do I need to reprogramme? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 17-09-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
GT ignition switch change - do I need to reprogramme?

I believe the ignition switch in my '54 registration 1.9JTD GT is failing. I have ordered the replacement switch. If I replace the old ignition switch with the new one, will this require some form of reprogramming for which I will need to go to Alfa Romeo to do e.g recoding the immobiliser, keys etc?

I'm worried that after I replace the switch, the car will basically become immobilised and I will need to get it towed to Alfa whereas at the moment the car with the failign ignition switch, the car will start ocassionally and allows me to drive.

Grateful for any thoughts!

Alfa Romeo GT Cloverleaf Q2 170bhp
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon TI Q4 210bhp
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
I'm not entirely sure, but I think the immobilser unit is separate and just plugs in at the back.

BUT .. I'm assuming they are getting you a new ignition switch matched to your existing keys? New keys, will mean reprogramming and they won't fit the other locks!! No, Alfa wouldn't be that stupid .. would they?
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
The immobiliser has nothing to do with the ignition lock or the key blade. There's an aerial surrounding the lock barrel and a matching transponder in the key fob. The aerial picks up the tranponder signal and the ECU decides whether it's kosher.

Where have you ordered the new switch from? If it's from an Alfa dealer did they ask for your VIN or Reg.?

If it is from a dealer one would hope that the new switch would be paired with your existing key blade. If you've ordered it mail order from some spares outfit what info did they ask for? If it's not paired with your existing keys one would hope it comes with the matching key blades, you'll need to swap the blades over. Problem with that of course is the new blades won't fit your door locks.

All the best

AO Member
County: Cheshire

Member car:

Subaru BRZ

I think the switch bit is separate from the barrell.
My GT ignition switch started giving me imobiliser and MCSF errors whilst starting the engine. (new battery didn't fix it!) so off to the main dealer (Mangos).
They replaced the ignition switch and it has been fine since (2 years ago). There were no keys, locks or barrels replaced, just the switch and a screw.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 18-09-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
Right, took my car into the local friendly garage, which replaced the new ignition switch in less than 30 minutes.

It was relatively simple. They took off the plastic cowling on the bottom half of the steering column, removed the electrical connectors to the ignition switch then drilled out two headless screws attaching the black plastic ignition switch to the steering wheel column. The igintion switch could then be removed and the new one put in and secured with two new screws supplied with the part. The heads of these break off once a certain torque is reached. Back on with the electrical connectors, then the cowling and lo and behold my car starts first time every time without the dash board dying or, erroneous ABS, VDC, or immobiliser failure warning, or, having started, conking out when I put the car in 1st or reverse gear.

The one additional benefit is that I have owned the car for nearly three years now and until the ignition switch was replaced, I hadn't noticed that there is a ring light around the cigarette lighter socket that glows red when the lights are turned on. I don't know whether this is just coincidence but it started working today. I was delighted by my newly working light. Sad but true!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

change , ignition , reprogramme , switch