First Big 'Ouch' - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 16-09-10 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

First Big 'Ouch'

The reason for the title is that everyone (outside this circle) I tell this tale to will reply 'told you so, shouldn't have bought an Alfa'.

However my first big bill is not down to any issues with the design or build of my GT but thanks to come cack handed operative (I don't think they deserve the designation mechanic) who was allowed to work on the car by its previous owner.

I was never sure if the aircon was working properly on my car - it seemed pretty weak when I got it and gradually got worse to the point of being ineffective. I suspected a slow leak and finally got it checked out today.

Thanks to Chick at CM Garage I've now discovered that the system was indeed leaking but not in any of the usual places. The cause was that on some previous occasion someone had been working around the gear linkage cables and unclipped them from their mountings but failed to put them back (there's no way they could have worked themselves loose) and the linkage has been rubbing against the aircon pipework at the back of the engine and chafed a hole in it.

Cost of new pipework alone is 137

So, with 2 hours labour to fit (a conservative estimate but that's what Chick has quoted) plus the time to diagnose and then the standard charge for a re-gas I'm not going to get much change out of 400.

I was thinking of getting some new wheels, but that idea is kicked into the long grass now....
Sponsored Links
Regional Representative
For East Midlands - AOEM
County: Leicestershire
bummer lad
AO Platinum Member
Sorry to hear about that
AO Member
County: Somerset

Member car:

147 Selespeed

My A/C doesn't work either, I'm scared to get it looked at
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 16-09-10 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

I would be too after what I discovered today. I genuinely thought the worst it could be was a gasket or something......
AO Silver Member

Member car:

166 3.0 Sporto

Probably not a great deal of consolation....but just be glad it wasn't a leaking evaporator.....

Those alloy A/C pies are pretty fragile, sadly. Same on all cars though, so no blame to Alfa.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

big , ouch