Another day - another problem
1. While driving the gear number on the console started flashing and the actual gear went into neutral (the revs went up)).
2. Next day I found myself only able to switch between 2-nd and 4-th gear. Going from 2-nd up with one push of the gearstick would result in the gearbox trying to select 3-rd (clicking for some time) and then skipping into 4-th. Tapping the gearstick twice would switch to 4-th immediately. Same when trying to switch from 4-th down.
3. Once I turned the car off (after 2.) I couldn't start it any more for a few days. There N was flashing on the console, and nothing would happen when I turned the key. I could tap the gearstick and hear both the gearbox clicking and pump working, but it still wouldn't go into any gear. After much of the gearstick work (switching betweedn forward and reverse speeds) I managed a couple of time to get R on the console, but it would still flash and wouldn't start as well.
4. We've towed the car to the local alfa garage (a 10 minute drive) and upon arrival there the car started at once, but we still left the car there.
5. The next morning the car didn't start sitting in the garage, so now they, at least, see the problem, but are still not sure about the cause. Their latest idea was to blame a Selespeed control unit - they said they've tried to change it for one they've had lying around in their garage (from 156 JTS) and said, that while it reports errors due to incompatibility (my car is 147) it started at once and they think there might be a problem related to "cold soldering".
Could the selespeed gurus share some of their insight on the matter, please?