DIY 147 rear shock replacement - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 13-09-10 Thread Starter

Member car:

147 1.6 TS

DIY 147 rear shock replacement

I've been hearing a knocking from the rear suspension of my '51 147 (80k miles) whilst going over sharp bumps for a long time now (sound goes absolutely crazy over cobblestones). A while ago I bought some replacement shcok absorbers. I know this was probably a rash decision, but I found magnetti marrelli ones cheap and thought i'd jump straight in instead of doing ARB drop links or trailing arms and see if it was the shocks that were problem as they are both leaking fluid.

Being a bit strapped for cash (student), and reluctant to be ripped off by a dealer, I intend to do it myself and want to know everything that I will need. Does anyone know of a how to guide existing anywhere? I remeber seeing one waaaay back, but can't remmber where.

Also, in case of the bolts being rusted on, does anyone know where I can order a replacement set from? Is it best/easiest to ask a dealer for them?

Finally, are there any bushings (apart form the top strut mount) that will need replacing, from what I can see there is only one; connecting trailing arm.....

hoping to have parts ready for when I do it, so i dont get stuck waiting for deliveries.....

any help much appreciated

Sponsored Links
County: Wiltshire
It's unlikely to be the shocks, more likely to be an ati roll bar drop link or the bushes OR the lower hub bushes.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 13-09-10 Thread Starter

Member car:

147 1.6 TS

Well in that case, do you know where the best place to get replacement parts is? Is it worth replacing the transverse arms as well? I might as well do the whole lot in one go....

Is there somewhere I can get a complete set of bolts and bushes for the rear setup?

Kind Regards

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , diy , rear , replacement , shock