Anyone else have a waterlogged passenger footwell on their GT? the air con isn't working properly either and the fan is on almost constanly, are they related? any advice much appreciated.
(75 T Spark, 145 Cloverleaf and now the GT)
OK, here we go.
Not sure if this is the same as other people's problems with water in footwells (driver or passenger) but worth considering!
I finally resolved my problem with the water flooding the Driver's side footwell and rear RHS footwell.
It took forever to resolve but was simple in the end. I took the driver's door trim off (damaging the power window switches in the process, as they are very hard to extract from the cutout in the trim without damaging them, so be careful - there is also a small Philips head screw located underneath the arm rest that needs to be unscrewed to realease the window switch mechanism, but this is not obvious - I was aware of this but regardless it is very difficult to extract the switch mechanism from the trim without damage, and they are an awful fit even when new - another poor design).
Once the trim was off I set up a hose on a stand outside the vehicle with a fine spray nozzle mounted on it to direct the water onto the side of the vehicle and the window area where I suspected the leak was originating from.
I could see that water was getting in onto the door trim and trickling down the outside of the plastic lining on the inside of the door. Somehow the water was then entering the speaker cutout and dripping off the speaker in the door and into the bottom of the door and exiting from the door onto the sill plate. From there it seeps INTO the vehicle from the sill plate and goes into the FRONT AND REAR footwells, as per my previous post. It was amazing to see the volume that was coming in.
Anyway, the SOURCE of the leak ended up being a very simple small tear in the very front of the rubber that is supposed to seal the drivers window. The water was hitting the window and running along the edge of the main window seal where the window slides up and down and the water dribbled to the front of the window seal where it was torn and it dripped straight into the trim. The fix was to use a small amount of window sealant to fix & reseal the rubber and unbelievably NO MORE LEAK!
You need to remove the Side Mirror from the vehicle to access the torn front edge of the rubber seal. To remove the Mirror is faily simple. You first need to remove the plastic triangular shaped cover which presses into three holes and is held in by some push fit clips. Once this is removed you gain access to three Tork Screws which are easy to remove and then the side mirror comes off.
I really didn't believe that repairing the rubber with windscreen sealant would actually fix ALL the leak issues but it did and the car has remained completely dry since even in the most torrential rain.
I suggest using a mastic type windscreen sealant as I did rather than a silicone rubber based sealant.
Once again it comes down to poor design as both the rubber that tears on the front edge is always going to fail at some point and even worse is that water that drips onto the door sill leaks INTO the vehicle instead of draining outside the vehicle as it does in most cars.
I do believe that the air conditioning runs constantly because the humidity sensor picks up the high humidity inside the vehicle resulting from the water soaked footwells so tries to run constantly to dry the car out but it will never manage to extract all that moisture.