Selespeed pump - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 05-09-10 Thread Starter
County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

147 lusso

Selespeed pump

Ayup All
I've got a 147 2.0L selespeed I had to call out the AA because dropped into neutral and would'nt select any gear. I knew it was the selespeed pump because there was silence when opening the door or turning on the ignition I just expected being towed home.The AA guy knew his stuff justed tapped the selespeed pump and bingo back up and running looks like worn brushes. My question is can the brushes be replaced? How big a job is it to change the pump? and has anyone have a pump for sale?
Cheers Kev
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
Check the sele relay (black square one on its own under the air intake somewhere). It might just be that it has dirty contacts.

Some have fitted audi windscreen wiper motor brushes, but I don't think they lasted long.

New pumps are £150 ish, I think... Check ebay though, you might find a decent used one if it comes to that.

I did have one, but I sold it to a guy in Texas!
AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands
brushes can be replaced, using brushes from an Audi wiper motor apparently, however bit of a bodge and may need a few goes to get right. Otherwise it is new pump time, pump approx £280, not hard, front bumper and inner wheel arch off and then you can get to it, only watch out is to de-pressurize the system before undoing the high pressure pipes, either by not opening the drivers door after leaving overnight (use passenger to release bonnet) or pull the relay out and change gear a few times until it changes no more. Several hints on here if you do a search.

Good work by the AA man, they usually run a mile from a silly,

or is it, if all else fails hit the thing with a hammer?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

pump , selespeed