Advice required please. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 29-03-04 Thread Starter

Member car:

Help Advice required please.

Hi. ive just joined your group and i am looking foreward to owning a 147 in the very near future. I would like your advice please on the best model of 147 to buy as i am getting a little confused with all the differant specs available here in the uk. Also would an import be ok to buy and is the selespeed prone to problems. Looking for a 5 door in red with 2 itr. engine. Any help greatly appricated.
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1561
County: -

Member car:

busso powered

Re: Advice required please.

Hi detroit,

Welcome to AlfaOwner. I an not from the UK so I can't really help you with the specs of the 147, but I guess a 2.0 always comes at a Lusso and not as a regular one.

I would (and did) opt for the selespeed transmission over the manual one, but that is a personal choice. Some 147 owner have issues with selespeed, even I had a problem with it right after delivery. But after the dealership replaced the selespeed-computer the system worked faultless on my alfa.

Nice options on a 147:
white or clear side indicators
17" Selespeed alloys
Connect Nav+
Leather upholstery

I you are a real music lover pass on the bose sound system because you will be disappointed, but maybe the bose is standard on a 2.0 in the UK.

AO Silver Member

hi Detroit.

Welcome! I hope you enjoy your stay at

Sorry, I cannot help with the advice thing.

AO Member
County: Berkshire

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 159LE

Hi Detroit 442

I'm the proud owner of a 147 Selespeed, 5 door, sports momo leather and the 16" selespeed alloys. Have not regretted it once and am more than happy with the spec i chose. It has the comfort pack as well (basically a third headrest and armrest in the back). Its still a joy to driver after just over 2 years and 25,000 miles. The only issue i've had was an ABS problem when i purchased, but i think this was because a pre-delivery inspection was not done properly. the Alfa garage (SGT in Berks) sorted in no problem.

I know some people have had problems with the Selespeed, but not me, guess i'm just lucky. I've not driven a 147 manual but every time i get ina manual car i can't wait to get back in the Alfa!! definately sort yourself out a test drive.

Mine is also and import from sunny Ireland. I picked it up from Trade Sales in Slough, SGT could not belive the price i picked it up for, i saved nearly 5K on what they would have charged for the spec.
I go past Trade Sales quiet often and noticed the other weekend a Red 5 door Selespeed at around 14K........

Hope that helps

God i miss my 147 Selespeed
But no fear the 159LE is here

Hey Detroit,

I can't comment on the newer 'Ti' option package, but between the Progressive and Distinctive models (these are called Turismo and Lusso, respectively, in the UK I think) definitely go for the Lusso package. This gives you not only a few extra amenities (such as trip computer, cruise control, etc.), but also allows you to upgrade to 16" or 17" wheels without too much extra cost.

In my experience this was well worth it. My car is a Distinctive model with the only extra option 17" supersport wheels. I don't need anything else!

After reading many posts on this forum, as well as many reviews, I would also recommend the standard transmission as opposed to the Selespeed. I have driven a friend's Selespeed, and although it was kind of fun, it's not worth risking getting a faulty system that will need lots of attention.

I chose not to get the Navigator because of the cost-benefit analysis. I figured that for the driving that I do, I wouldn't use it that much, and in a few years, I would not get the value out of it in resale.

Another friend with the Navigator complains that you can't use the Map CD and play your CDs at the same time - so if you are going to get the Navigator system, consider getting the upgraded stereo/CD changer, so that you can load your maps and listen to tunes at the same time.

These are just personal reflections/ideas. I may be wrong on some of them, but I am very happy with my 1.6 veloce Distinctive (Rosso Alfa).

good luck,

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

advice , required