New Silencer... worth a DIY? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 03-09-10 Thread Starter
County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

2002 147

New Silencer... worth a DIY?

Hi all,

In an effort to save some pennies, I have been doing some of the little things our 02 147 has needed lately... service, battery, rear hatch, brake pads...

On the last MOT we were warned about the silencer, as it's rusting, although it looks like it's from the outside in, so until I sound like a boy racer or it falls off I am leaving it..

What I wondered what if this was something worth tackling myself, or is the £97 quoted at my local garage make it not worth the time and effort?

If a new/nearly new silencer is £40-50 for instance, and the job will involve welding and other things requiring more than my basic tools, then I may just save up.

If, however; the part is cheaper and it's just a matter of some bolts and WD40, then it's worth a bash.

Thoughts and experiences are very much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
There shouldn't be any welding required, but getting the old one off might involve a bit of effort, which is compounded by having to work under the car.

Get a new bracket thing, so you're not stuck if you have to cut the old one off if the nuts are rusted.
DIYable assuming you have axle stands
It's usually a horrible filthy job involving flakes of rust in your eyes and hair but it doesn't require special skills.

A cheap angle grinder is a worthwile investment which has a million and one other uses.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

diy , silencer , worth