what to look out for in a 147 2.0 selespeed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 01-09-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

what to look out for in a 147 2.0 selespeed

i'm looking at 147's in particular the 2.0 models, what things should i be especially aware of in used models???

its mainly 2001/2002 ones i'm looking at

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

156 2.0 TS

Honest advice, unless your are mechanically minded then get someone who knows there stuff! The gearbox has lots of little quirks, and some can be rather expensive/some not, but its great when it works!

The 147 suffers from the same suspension weakness as the 156, so look at top and bottom arms on the front for knocking and squeaking. Rear arms and hub bushes do go. When all these go it will eat tyres.

Cambelt interval is 36000/3 years. Check condition of radiator and that the car gets to temp (thermostat). Otherwise FSH is a must! And good luck!
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
Check the inner sills, inner front arches and the floor beneath the footwells for rust.

Some but not all examples came from the factory with sub-standard rust protection.

If it is rusty it isn't the end of the world, but make sure you knock off some money for repairs to be done.

My 2000 registered 156 had big holes in the floor, and the 147 uses pretty much the same floorpan.
AO Silver Member
County: Dublin

Member car:

156 GTA & 156 Ti

Check the selespeed fluid, should be clear, if its black, its got oil in it, not good.
Ask if the seller has topped up, or the garage has, and what they use (should be Tutela CS Speed)

Use all the gears in both city and manual mode.
If you have the key set to MAR, you should be able to cycle though all the gears with the engine off, if I am not mistaken (Dont know 147s).

Ask if he has had any problems with it in the past.

The Selespeed have had some problems, but its not as bad as everyone made it out to be.
Often when something breaks it could be a pump, or tank, or even the ECU
Most dealers want to blame it on the system when they are unable to find the flaw, and their only solution is to replace the whole lot (a 1000 quid job)

And if you ever want to get rid of the 17" Selespeed alloys, send me a PM

2003 156 GTA Selespeed - Alfa Rosso + black multispokes, Eibach anti rollbars, Quaife ATB diff, 330mm brakes, Bilstein B12, De-cat wrapped manifolds + EQ downpipes + Ragazzon silencer, CDA intake, (carefully) removed interior & Sparco bucket seats + 6 point harness

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , selespeed