I drove from South Wales to Bristol and then on to Swindon, friday just gone. I've had my car a few months now and never had a problem with the cooling system until now. Just as I was coming to my first destination in Bristol it seriously overheated (gauge at the far end, led on). I didnt spot the increase in temperature until it was too late as I never expected it
Anywho, when I popped the bonnet a fountain of steaming hot water was squirting out from a hairline crack in the top of the reservoir tank. I very very very very slowly undid the cap to release the pressure until I could remove it. After some flapping, I left the car and went about my business while it cooled. Came back with a 2 litre bottle of tap water to top it up, poured that in and filled the bottle up again before setting off.
Straight onto the motorway, no problem with temperature as wind circulating through the grill was keeping it cool. Came to Tesco and decided to pickup some ready mix coolant just incase, although I couldnt put it in because I had filled it to level with water 10 minutes previous. Got to Swindon and almost at second destination when same problem again, major overheating, but this time I managed to stop before it went into meltdown. Again I slowly slowly undid the cap until I could remove it. Went about business and came back once cool to pour coolant mix in, plus extra water I had.
Then I drove around Swindon AND
back to South Wales without any issues whatsoever.
On the drive back I started diagnosing in my head, thermostat? water pump? coolant mix? low oil?
Since I bought the car the temperature gauge has quickly gone up to 90'ish, then fallen to 50'ish (thermostat opening?) and then increases to about 70-80 and doesnt move from there. After the second overheating it now does this as usual again.
going to flush the cooling system and put a fresh mix in just to be on the safe side, but still wonder why it overheated twice?