So I started the car today with the brake pedal pressed as I usually do and received ABS, ASR and EBD errors which went straight away. No lights on the dashboard so went on with my journey. Just a little Alfa gremlin I thought. About 30 minutes into my journey when stuck in traffic I kept getting ASR and ABS errors every time I braked, but within a couple of minutes this stopped and carried on as normal.
Went shopping for a few hours and then tried to start the car. No lights other than the air bag and the car wouldn’t start. I noticed that jiggling the key while it’s in the ON position would get the lights on and I could start the car. I daren’t turn it off and made the 45 minute journey without any issues other than the air conditioning fans would speed up when the brakes are on!?
I’ve had problems with cars before but nothing like this! I don’t even know where to start but currently I’m thinking it’s either
1. An ECU error which might clear after pulling the battery off overnight
2. A broken ignition barrel
I’ve read the errors codes with Fiat ECU Scan and had
• U1706 – ABS Data Line
• P0500 – Vehicle Speed Signal
• P0606 – ECU microprocessor fault
A video of me trying to start the car / semi-successfully starting it can be seen here.
YouTube - Alfa Romeo 147 - Electrical Issues
Points from the video.
• The car will turn over when the dashboard lights aren't on but wont start.
• Sometimes jiggling the key will switch off the dashboard even with the engine started and then pressing the brakes causes a stall.
• The car can sometimes be started correctly and moving the key has no affect.
Thanks for any help,
Also occasionally getting immobilizer failure to add to the list