Just test drove GT JTS this morning - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member

Member car:

BMW 120d SE

Re: Just test drove GT JTS this morning

Hi guys

I do indeed have the 225 (a coupe, not a girly roadster!) and I do regard my self as a keen driver, and according to Clarkson I'm a petrolhead as Iv'e owned an Alfa!

There is no doubt that the TT is a damn fine car, it's fast (0-60 in 6.5), superb for in gear accelleration, it's very solid (built to a higher standard than my old 147) and does handle very....efficiently. I have always been a big fan of TT styling, so we will have to disagree there, as I think it really is an individual piece of simplistic, contemporary design that just doesn't age.

But, what it lacks is what Alfa Romeo's (the one's I have driven anyway) have in abundance - soul. When driving quickly the TT is great as the 4wd keeps you on track in any weather and it is especially apparent in slippery conditions where the car is near impossible to get off line. But in the dry and on the limit it lacks that feedback that says 'you are coming to the end of my grip mate!' and just doesn't feel very fluid.

And then there is the ESP, oh dear, it's like a big German bloke giving you a slap in the face and saying: "you are driving too fast! slow down!" every time you exceed the wheels traction envelope by the smallest amount. Very frustrating but I like my tyres too much to leave it off!

The GTA I drove on Saturday had all the grip of the TT in the dry but so much more. You felt like it wanted to go faster round the corners, it was willing you to have some fun with it, but gave you the information you needed so you didn't make an arse of yourself. And Audi should take lessons from the Alfa VDC system - simply superb.

As for Audi reliability I don't think anyone can argue that it's worse than Alfa's (bear in mind the volumes sold here) but Alfa are catching up. It's really the dealers who let Alfa down due to their scarcety and sometimes !!!!e customer service.

But there again on the Audi TT forum, the dealers are known as 'Stealers'

Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Thanks for the reply Edd. I think we can all agree that Alfa garages generally defy belief in their awfulness!!
The difference with Audi I suppose is ( general reliability aside ) that Audi removed AFN's franchise after loads of complaints ( although bizarrely they are still a Porsche dealer ), and appointed a new dealer in Guildford. If only Alfa would do the same with some of their dealers.

Thanks for the response Edd, pretty much as I thought re: the Titty Hope you get your GT soon, although I have to say I think the 156GTA is gorgeous-looking (better than the recently face-lifted 156 for sure).

Regarding Main Dealers, just had a new rev counter (knackered LCD Selespeed gear read-out) and anti-roll bar link fitted under warranty by Desira Hertford today and was pleasantly surprised by the service I received. Very helpful, and the work performed by a genuine Eyetalian!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

drove , jts , morning , test