Alfa 156 gta or BMW M3 E36 - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Last edited by BeggarsBanquet; 24-08-10 at 09:13.
Sponsored Links
Does anybody really base their decision on what kind of car to buy on the opinions of a load of people on an internet forum that they've never met?

For the record, I wouldn't have an M3 because they mainly seem to be driven through town centres at full chat in first gear by people who are old enough to know better (who may or may not look like drug dealers). But then I wouldn't have a GTA either. Partly this is because I'm too poor, partly because I prefer the 156 with no styling additions whatsoever, and partly because in most of the driving I do I don't utilise the full potential of my 2.0 TS so a GTA would frustrate the hell out of me.

If I had the time, money and inclination to do regular track days that view might change but I don't think I'd buy either of those (I'd buy a Volvo 960 Turbo or SAAB 9000 for the job, strip out the interior, and spend a bit of time and effort getting it above 300 BHP).
AO Gold Member
County: Good old Sussex by the sea

Member car:

The train :(

Originally Posted by mave View Post
Don't know whether it was one incident or 4 incidents, but if it was 4 I'd actually say that's pretty appalling! If anything else that I owned needed work every 4 months I'd be getting shot of it; I certainly wouldn't be regarding it as an example of reliability!
Well, for the record it wasn't anything electrical (a criticism often aimed at Alfas). The four instances items I had replaced / repaired were:
1. A clutch slave cylinder .
2. The mid section of the exhaust. It had rusted. It was replaced after about 80,000 miles, I think that's just about acceptable.
3. The starter motor.
4. Getting the bottom engine mount replaced because the garage who replaced the starter motor (item 3) weren't an Alfa garage - you live and learn!

I use it as a daily driver and I do about 300 miles a week.

Anyway back to the OP's original question.....
AO Silver Member
Originally Posted by BeggarsBanquet View Post
Fair enough, each to his/her own On this basis though, the VAG cars we ran are even less reliable than I'd advertised previously; I reckon you'd have been seriously annoyed with them
I don't doubt it! On thing that strikes me is that a lot of brand new cars need a lot of work done to them early on - and they get more reliable into middle age!
AO Member
County: West Midlands
Originally Posted by mave View Post
I don't doubt it! On thing that strikes me is that a lot of brand new cars need a lot of work done to them early on - and they get more reliable into middle age!
To be fair its the same with most new builds. At Landrover when Disco 3 was realised you wouldn't go near one for 18months until all issues sorted. Due to deadlines and demand all cars are rushed nowadays and I wouldn't buy new but wait the 18months for the teething problems to be resolved.
We were constantly hit with airbag/airsus/diff/engine issues which JD powers had a field day over

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa , bmw , e36 , gta